Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Afraid to be a Christian...? *edit

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 138 Replies
7 moms liked this
I will start out by saying that some Christians are rude and insufferable. Some atheists are as well. People can be idiots regardless of religion, race, age, education level, etc.

But lately I sometimes get the feeling that people want me to be scared or embarrassed to be a Christian. Like I should hang my head in shame when I admit I believe in God and go to church. Because right now, it's not the 'cool' thing to be. My husband recently converted, and he's had to take a lot of ribbing about it from his atheist family and friends. He has one friend that won't even speak to him anymore.

Now I know we all know Christians who are just as bad. But here's the thing. A rude, pushy Christian's big argument is that you're going to hell if you don't believe. And they really believe that. That's why Jehovah's witnesses come to your door. They truly think that they can save you from eternal damnation! And they're willing to try their hardest to keep that from happening. (I know this is not always the case, btw)

What I don't understand is spending so much time trying to make Christians feel stupid and close-minded. How does my belief affect anyone else? Are you trying to make me not believe? To take away something that gives me hope and makes me feel like my life has a purpose? Would that make you feel better about yourself?

I am secure in my faith. Name calling and stupid memes aren't going to change my mind. Not do I think it's a good way for Christians to change others' minds. So maybe next time you go searching for a bible verse to throw in a Christian's face to refute her argument, maybe dig a little deeper and see if there's not something there you're missing.

Edit: I should have made this clearer. I am not ashamed or embarrassed to be a Christian. I meant that I feel like people WANT me to be ashamed. By saying things like 'Christians are talking to their invisible friend', and 'I automatically assume Christians are stupid', people are trying to make Christians feel silly and stupid.
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM
4 moms liked this

As long as your relationship with your god does not interfere with anyone else's life, then who cares? 

This is YOUR faith, what is there to be ashamed about?

Hail Satan.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM
9 moms liked this

"How does my belief affect anyone else?"

Well, that's the thing (for me, anyway). It shouldn't. Your beliefs shouldn't dictate what happens in my life, but many Christians think it should. They think the laws should be based on their religion, forcing everyone to live by it whether or not we believe.

JTROX
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Stand strong.

christina0607
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM

" no one can make you feel inferior without your consent"....Eleanor Roosevelt

If you were truly secure in your faith you wouldn't feel scared or embarrassed. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I think Christians should try to stop groups like the Westboro Baptist Church nd the KKK that say their beliefs are christian.  They give all of you a bad name and you let it go on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Unfortunately they have a freedom of speech as we do. I as a Christian would love nothing more than to have them banned, but it's not possible. They are fighting for what they believe in.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think Christians should try to stop groups like the Westboro Baptist Church nd the KKK that say their beliefs are christian.  They give all of you a bad name and you let it go on.

Mommy2b2many
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM
I don't understand feeling embarrassed about being a Christian. It doesn't matter to me what others think. It's my religion, my choice. And if someone has a problem with my being a Christian; oh well. It doesn't affect them in any way.
SecularMomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Not to be rude but I think it's kind of silly to be embarrassed or scared to be Christian.

You obviously have no clue what it's like to come out as an atheist. I've been disowned by my grandmother and I'm not allowed to see my teenage baby sister... And of course that's just half of it.

I wish it was as easy to be an atheist as it is to be a Christian.
slvr115
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't feel scared or embarrassed. I'm saying that people seem to feel I should, or they seem to want me to.

Sometimes feeling insecure makes you want others to feel that way too...

Quoting christina0607:

" no one can make you feel inferior without your consent"....Eleanor Roosevelt

If you were truly secure in your faith you wouldn't feel scared or embarrassed. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM
4 moms liked this
When we accept Jesus in our lives we will be hated just like Jesus was and he told us this. I will never be ashamed ir embarrasses to call myself a Christian.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)