Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

American schools...

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM
  • 44 Replies

Are they free?

Do you have to buy all the textbooks and paper and pencils?

Do you have to pay for your kids to attend?

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kids4tara
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM

My kids go to a private Catholic school. We pay tuition for them to attend and we pay for school supplies such as pens, pencils, loose leaf paper, notebooks and folders.

TurboMom81
Nothing like getting your hopes dashed and your dreams trampled all over. I'm sure some miserable person is quite pleased to hear about that.
Yesterday at 2:55 AM
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM
I have to buy lunches and supplies.
tardistraveller
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Are all the catholic schools private?

They are free here.

Quoting 4kids4tara:

My kids go to a private Catholic school. We pay tuition for them to attend and we pay for school supplies such as pens, pencils, loose leaf paper, notebooks and folders.

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Public school is free,, but only good if you live in wealthy white neighborhoods.

We do have to provide supplies and lunches though. 

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

lydias_mommy12
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:10 PM
In my county parents only pay for supplies and extra curricular activities, ie band, sports.
tardistraveller
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Similar thing here, to a degree.  Some schools are better than others becuase of the area.  Less nice neighbourhoods have hoodrats for students and as a result the school has less nice things (they get ruined) and more crime and bullying, and the teachers are less caring (probably get worn down)

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Public school is free,, but only good if you live in wealthy white neighborhoods.

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Public schools are free, you provide your own school supplies but you don't have to pay for the books unless your kid ruins them. At least that's been my experience, seems it can be very different depending on where you are...

destiny3513
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in an average multi cultural district. Southern NJ. The school are good here.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM
You don't pay tuition for a public school,but there are a lot of fees that add up to a few hundred. Yes, you purchase all supplies and pay fees to "rent" each textbook, though one school we knew didn't have enough so no one got books!?! I bought them on Amazon for my kid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Public schools, no. They do request that you provide supplies but no child will be denied an education because of their parents' inability to pay.
Private schools are a different story. We pay tuition, textbook fees and provide his supplies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)