Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What ever happened to a free education?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 167 Replies
First off, I am not complaining here. I send my kids to a private school and have no problem buying school supplies.

BUT I am floored at the lengthy school supply lists for the public schools. What if the parents don't have the money to buy school supplies? I thought public school was supposed to be a free education?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
two4one
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM

It isn't entirely free. Schools do not have unlimited funds.

Anonandon
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM
It's my understanding a lot of places do communal supplies, that takes care of the ones who can't afford them. Public school is free tuition, not totally free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

The school supply lists aren't that bad,  if you can't afford to buy your child's basic needs (that includes school supplies)  then may they should be popping out children they can't afford!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM
10 moms liked this

Because running a school isn't free and our government has decided that funding schools isn't important and now the schools are trying to make do with with small budgets and high expenses. So, parents are asked to help by buying school supplies and buying from fundraisers..etc. 

If someone can't buy school supplies there are a ton of organizations that will help them out. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Glad to hear it. I felt so bad for kids whose parents can't afford the supplies. It's not the kid's fault!

Quoting Anonandon:

It's my understanding a lot of places do communal supplies, that takes care of the ones who can't afford them. Public school is free tuition, not totally free.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM
4 moms liked this
It isn't free and never has been. Even in the days of one-room schoolhouses, parents were required to donate firewood, or a bit of their time to help keep the schoolhouse clean if they couldn't spare the wood.
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Half the reason the lists are so high is because others refuse or can't afford to buy supplies. Yes it is free educations. I remember when I was younger in the 80's we had to buy supplies too. One thing was though it was for us only not for everyone.

elliotmommytobe
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM
I remember our school cutting other things. They never cut school supplies. They cut things like tissues and they got rid of paper towels
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM
4 moms liked this
It's never been free. Taxes go, in part, towards funding schools. The problem is the budgets are continually slashed year after year.

Besides, it's my job as a parent to ensure my kids have what they need to be properly educated.
Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM

My thoughts exactly. 15 - 20 years ago it was not like this. If my mother had to buy school supplies like we do now, I would have gone without food and clothing. She was a single mother and we lived in poverty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)