Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

married for ten years...............what are the chances?ETA

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

how many of you were married for ten years or more and ended up divorced? why?

ETA...my 18 year old sister asked me yesterday if me and dh were going to go the distance since everyone she knows is divorced. i simply answered yes. we are committed to our marriage and making it work. we married young but always make our marriage a priority. just thought i would give a little background on why the post was made. we have been married longer than anyone in our families.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

THe chances of divorce are as good as you let them be. For us, divorce is just never an option. Its just not even a possibility. Which means we've been forced to just learn to deal. Its not easy, 14 yrs means alot of dealing. But we've come through this far, and we've never regretted that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Because I wanted alimony. After ten years you automatically are granted it because the woman's needs come first.

Hot_Badonkadonk
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Yeah, it seems uncommon for people to stay happily married these days. I think the key is, is to realize marriage isn't always unicorns and rainbows. It can be a struggle, but worth the fight. Also, both partners to not give up and communicate EVERYTHING!
Quoting CjEmmemommy:

Not personally but its a huge fear of mine because as a teen, almost ALL of my friends parents divorced! It seemed like once the youngest was around 12 or so they just gave up. All married well over 10 years!

My own parents divorced when I was 18 and my brother 13. My Dad was cheating so its not like they just gave up but clearly he gave up. I can name 3 tops facebook friends that have married parents that are their parents from birth. Its very sad and I wonder how I can stop that in my marriage...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Me. Will be married for 10 years this fall. Getting a divorce. Our marriage had been going downhill for a while. I have never for counseling (both marriage and for him personally). I went to counseling myself and have been fighting for 5 yrs. I am just done fighting.

Make sure you ask for alimony. Take the dirtbag to the bank.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

My MIL & FIL divorced after 25 years of marriage.  Dad was an alcoholic, mom wanted him to get help, and she wanted another child that he would not agree to.  It was a dealbreaker.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM
4 moms liked this
You sound like a real peach.
Quoting Anonymous:

Because I wanted alimony. After ten years you automatically are granted it because the woman's needs come first.

Gorilla_Mama
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

My parents divorced after 26 years of marriage because my mom started having an affair.

Dragonmamas
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Bumping, because I've not been married yet:)

KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM

That's a long time, congratulations! That seems so rare nowadays. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

We're at 35 years and counting.  At this point, I don't see divorce happening 

EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)