Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you have a baby without health insurance? *ETA*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have 2 children from a previously relationship and dh and I have 1 son together. About a year ago my dh switched jobs and with the new job we have to get private insurance (is employer pays a portion of it) instead of group insurance. Well, after going through the 3 health insurance companies available to us (BlueCross, United Healthcare, Covenant) none of them will cover me due to "pre-existing conditions" some of which I know longer have, because they were just MINOR issues with my last pregnancy and because I have been to a chiropractor. 

Anyway DH and I have been wanting another child, especially since he only has one of his own and I would like to ttc SOON because I am starting a new teacher associate position and a summer baby would work out great, and I also don't want a huge age gap between my youngest and the next baby, and I also have horrible menstrual cycles and the dr has agreed to a hysterectomy when we are done with kids, so I don't want to wait to much longer. 

DH wants another one, but he doesn't want to ttc until I have health insurance, which I understand but we also don't know how long it will be until I can get health insurance. 

What would you do?

*ETA* 

*First, I want to acknowledge that things could go wrong to affect these prices but here is what we have been told and have looked into when looking into insurance*

When we first looked into insurance, we were told that maternity insurance is ALMOST pointless, because a lot of times not everything is covered and there is a lot of fine print. When we talked to more people they told us basically the same thing. We also live in the state of IOWA and therefore healthcare cost are ALOT cheaper here than in other states. I qualify for state insurance,for people with pre-existing conditions, called HIPIOWA, the reason we have choosen not to take this insurance is based on the following numbers:

Cheapest policy in HIPIOWA without materinty insurance is around $300-$350 a month with a $10,000 deductable, with materenity coverage it goes to up to $700-$750 with the same deductable. PLUS, we most carry the policy for 12 months before gettting pregnant.

So it would cost us $700 x 12  = $8,400 + $700 x 9 (or 10 months if you want to get technically of pregnancy) = $6,300 + $10,000 deductable = $24,700 (this is also not including the cost of co-pays)

the average cost for a c-section/pregnancy in my area is around $10,000- $15,000 (the average being $12,000). So IF the pregnancy/delivery went good and everything was healthy it would cost less to have the baby out of pocket. 

And like I said I could wait, but I don't necessarily want to because of the reasons listed above. And so far with my few times of seeing a dr in the last year, my cost have been cheaper than when I was on insurance, but again, I thankfully haven't had major health issues or an accident. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I wouldn't do it, the costs would be all yours to pay and it's not cheap. If you have an extra twenty grand lying around go ahead but Hell no for me.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Absolutely not. Hospital bills for birth are crazy high, even if nothing goes wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM

you can get pregnancy medicaid. thats what I had to do when I had my last baby. we had private insurance but it doesn't cover prenatal care. so I got pregnancy medicaid. the only other thing you can do is pay out of pocket for pregnancy. my dr office lets you make payments. you just have to pay for it completely by the 7th month. 

dee1603
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I would not have a child without insurance. Period. That's just asking for financial trouble later on unless you have no intention of paying the medical bills.
MorganTho
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM
You would probably qualify for state knsurance that covers some cost or medicaid then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Nope. I would not have a baby without having health insurance. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I didn't have insurance when I got pregnant. However it was open enrollment time right after, so I was able to get on.

I haven't had insurance since about a month after DS was born 6 years ago. We pay out of pocket. Its been cheaper that way. I know if there is a emergancy we will have a huge bill, but for now its what we can do.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Nope. It's irresponsible to have children without health insurance.
aiyess
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM
No.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM

yep our state is the same way. no private insurance covers prenatal care. your only option is to pay cash or get medicaid. we didn't know that till after we got pregnant so we had to get medicaid. next time around we planning on just paying cash as thats really our only option.

Quoting crysiann:

Well, I am sort of in the same situation. But, I would double check it, because in my state every insurance I call tells me that they do not cover anything related to pregnancy on private policies any longer. So, the only way I could have coverage for pregnancy is if I went on state insurance. I have no other option. So, I don't know what to do either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN