Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you have a baby without health insurance? *ETA*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have 2 children from a previously relationship and dh and I have 1 son together. About a year ago my dh switched jobs and with the new job we have to get private insurance (is employer pays a portion of it) instead of group insurance. Well, after going through the 3 health insurance companies available to us (BlueCross, United Healthcare, Covenant) none of them will cover me due to "pre-existing conditions" some of which I know longer have, because they were just MINOR issues with my last pregnancy and because I have been to a chiropractor. 

Anyway DH and I have been wanting another child, especially since he only has one of his own and I would like to ttc SOON because I am starting a new teacher associate position and a summer baby would work out great, and I also don't want a huge age gap between my youngest and the next baby, and I also have horrible menstrual cycles and the dr has agreed to a hysterectomy when we are done with kids, so I don't want to wait to much longer. 

DH wants another one, but he doesn't want to ttc until I have health insurance, which I understand but we also don't know how long it will be until I can get health insurance. 

What would you do?

*ETA* 

*First, I want to acknowledge that things could go wrong to affect these prices but here is what we have been told and have looked into when looking into insurance*

When we first looked into insurance, we were told that maternity insurance is ALMOST pointless, because a lot of times not everything is covered and there is a lot of fine print. When we talked to more people they told us basically the same thing. We also live in the state of IOWA and therefore healthcare cost are ALOT cheaper here than in other states. I qualify for state insurance,for people with pre-existing conditions, called HIPIOWA, the reason we have choosen not to take this insurance is based on the following numbers:

Cheapest policy in HIPIOWA without materinty insurance is around $300-$350 a month with a $10,000 deductable, with materenity coverage it goes to up to $700-$750 with the same deductable. PLUS, we most carry the policy for 12 months before gettting pregnant.

So it would cost us $700 x 12  = $8,400 + $700 x 9 (or 10 months if you want to get technically of pregnancy) = $6,300 + $10,000 deductable = $24,700 (this is also not including the cost of co-pays)

the average cost for a c-section/pregnancy in my area is around $10,000- $15,000 (the average being $12,000). So IF the pregnancy/delivery went good and everything was healthy it would cost less to have the baby out of pocket. 

And like I said I could wait, but I don't necessarily want to because of the reasons listed above. And so far with my few times of seeing a dr in the last year, my cost have been cheaper than when I was on insurance, but again, I thankfully haven't had major health issues or an accident. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Just letting you know you're looking at close to $20, 000 minimum for out of pocket c section.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would have to have a csection, so no homebirth, and DH really doesn't like the idea of government assistance even though I told him that would be an option. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Can you apply for temporary state public assistance (Medicaid)?

Or you can try a home birth, etc...

I wouldn't get pregnant if I couldn't afford it. Even you though may be able to afford the hospital stay, there are lots of other things can could (knock on wood) go wrong and that can add up. God forbid something goes wrong in deliver and you need an emergency c-section (expensive), or the baby has complications? Or is born with some sort of disability and needs therapy - insurance companies frown on covering those pre-existing issues.

I'd wait. You never know what could go wrong... But if you want a child, get going with that insurance. If you can afford a baby and this is the age gap you want, don't wait any longer than necessary and don't delay on getting insurance. I had an issue with having my second at the age gap I wanted, and I've always regretted it (in a weird way).

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I wouldn't. Way too expensive. I'm surprised united wont cover you. That's what we have an I had pre existing conditions when dh added me to it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crysiann
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM

It is a difficult thing to figure out, isn't it? Good luck making the right choice for your family.

Quoting Anonymous:

We can get private maternity insurance but its EXPENSIVE. It is actually almost cheaper to have a baby out of pocket (if you have a healthy pregnancy, of course) 

Quoting crysiann:

Well, I am sort of in the same situation. But, I would double check it, because in my state every insurance I call tells me that they do not cover anything related to pregnancy on private policies any longer. So, the only way I could have coverage for pregnancy is if I went on state insurance. I have no other option. So, I don't know what to do either.

Firewoman33
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM

No.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I have 7 kids with no coverage.  This America you're lucky if you get coverage.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I could wait, but like I said, I was trying to time it so that the baby would be born in the summer and I don't know how much longer I can handle my menstrual cycles (yes, they are that bad!). Plus, a lot of insurance companies make you wait 12 months before they will cover maternity issues.
Quoting Anonymous:

2014 is 4 months away. Can't you wait that long

Quoting Anonymous:That doesn't go into affect until 2014 at the earliest, plus I don't know how much it will cost to have those pre existing conditions covered. Quoting Mcelly:When was the last time you applied for coverage? I don't think they can turn you down anymore.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM

My daughter's hospital bills were $80,000 + $10,000 for my care and $10,000 for doctor's visits related to her premature birth.

Totally healthy pregnancy until...it wasn't. Anything can happen. I'd NEVER do it without insurance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:03 PM

exactly. I was so pissed when we found out because we are paying $70 a week for insurance that I can't even use. thats $280 a month that is pretty much just being thrown away. they said I can use the insurance for the labor and delivery part at the hospital. but it can't be used for actual prenatal care. makes no sense. I don't understand why that would not be covered. I never heard that before till we moved here. when I called medicaid to apply they said ya no private insurance covers prenatal care here so I automatically get medicaid if I am pregnant. I couldn't believe it. 

Quoting crysiann:

yeah, it feels like the government is really pushing us to have to be on Medicaid. I can afford insurance, but, what's the point of it if it doesn't cover anything?!

Quoting Anonymous:

yep our state is the same way. no private insurance covers prenatal care. your only option is to pay cash or get medicaid. we didn't know that till after we got pregnant so we had to get medicaid. next time around we planning on just paying cash as thats really our only option.

Quoting crysiann:

Well, I am sort of in the same situation. But, I would double check it, because in my state every insurance I call tells me that they do not cover anything related to pregnancy on private policies any longer. So, the only way I could have coverage for pregnancy is if I went on state insurance. I have no other option. So, I don't know what to do either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM

My hospital stay and a month in the NICU ran about $75k. 

Way too risky to consider doing it without insurance to me.  I'd never qualify for low income.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I am this time, but I'm not birthing at a hospital.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN