Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need Green Mommies!

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM
  • 11 Replies

As most of you know, I'm a teen mom and live with my parents.  Well I try to save them money by making a lot of household cleaning stuff and all that good stuff.  I came across a homemade dishwasher detergent recipe on a green mommy blog.  I made it and have been using it but it seems to leave this dry film on my utensils/pots/pans... I wush I had a picture of it but I havent used it the past few days because of the film.  It's white and almost powder like film and is gross...please help!

Here's the recipe:

o   1 cup Salt

o   2 Cups Borax

o   2 cups baking soda

o   1 cup lemi Shine

o   Use 2TBSP. /white vinegar or lemon juice in the rinse

by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redneckmama4
by Loree on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Vinegar in the rinse agent dealie should help.
ProudMommaBear
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Thank you!

Quoting redneckmama4:

crysiann
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I just use equal parts borax and baking soda, I don't seem to get a film on my dishes. I really like it. I make all my own cleaning products, so, if you need any other cleaning product recipes, let me know. I will gladly share. I think its great you are doing this!

ZombieMeat
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I used it for a month and tossed the idea completely. It left a nasty film on every single one of my dishes and it caused a build up within my dishwasher. Never again. I went back to my non toxic dishwasher detergent.

ProudMommaBear
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM

thank you :)

I love making my own things. 

Quoting crysiann:

I just use equal parts borax and baking soda, I don't seem to get a film on my dishes. I really like it. I make all my own cleaning products, so, if you need any other cleaning product recipes, let me know. I will gladly share. I think its great you are doing this!

ProudMommaBear
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM

man I hope I find a solution :/ 

Quoting ZombieMeat:

I used it for a month and tossed the idea completely. It left a nasty film on every single one of my dishes and it caused a build up within my dishwasher. Never again. I went back to my non toxic dishwasher detergent.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM

This.

Do you have hard water? That might be contributing to it, too. You might need to find a different recipe that works for your water.

Quoting redneckmama4:

ZombieMeat
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM

As much as I love vinegar, I wouldn't recommend it as a rinsing aid. The vinegar can damage the rubber components of the rinse aid compartment, which can cause a build up and cause the nasty film.

Quoting redneckmama4:

redneckmama4
by Loree on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM
You do realize rinse agents are all acidic?

Quoting ZombieMeat:

As much as I love vinegar, I wouldn't recommend it as a rinsing aid. The vinegar can damage the rubber components of the rinse aid compartment, which can cause a build up and cause the nasty film.

Quoting redneckmama4:

team_porculoon
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM

What kind of dish washer do you have?  Is it one of those HE ones?  And hard water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)