Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ETA Was the teacher insulting ds or am i too sensitive

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 154 Replies
Ets I've decided after thinking thevteacher really does care and nor rude. He will do shop instead

DS has an iep for writing reading math speech and language. His iep case manger called me today. He starts school next week.

She introduced herself and was super sweet. Then she asked how I felt about DS taking Spanish
I told her it was fine with it. He took Exploring Spanish for a semester in eighth grade and liked it. They made pinantas and tacos. It was fun.

She told me high school Spanish is not like that. Its a hard challenging class. She said she likes to talk to freshmen parents about it before hand because lots of freshmen are not ready for Spanish. She said many of them think it will be a goof off class and don't do well because they don't have the maturity or study skills yet to do well, especially students with ieps in reading, writing, speech and language like my DS. She said students with ieps often have enough trouble with high school English , let alone foreign language. She said some do well but many do not. She was worried the guidance counselors pressured DS to do Spanish to fill a slot because she says that's common. She also said its not required for graduation or entrance to community colleges around here, only the major university. She said lots of families don't know thisvand she wanted me to have the info I needed to make the best choice.

She told me as she didn't know DS yet she couldn't really advise me on whether he should take it or not. She said that it needed to be a family decision and to talk to DS. They only get two weeks to change a class.

Do you think she was bring rude? I felt like she was insulting DS. Just because he had a couple d last year and an iep doesn't mean he can't do Spanish. My child my choice. I kind of feel like she's up to something.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM
11 moms liked this

i don't think it was insulting.  she was making sure you understood that it wouldn't be a particularly easy class. 

Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM
3 moms liked this
She's trying to help your son be as successful as possible. There was nothing rude about what she said IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM
3 moms liked this
Lol yea she gets a kick back from the school for deterring kids from Spanish class... Come on lady.. Get a grip.
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Based on what you wrote, it sounds like she was being honest about challenges that some similar students have experienced. I wouldn't read into it at all.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM
8 moms liked this
No I think she's going on years of experience and decided to share that information with you. She was frank and didn't sugar coat anything but I don't think she sounded rude. She wants your son to excel and knows its harder for children like your son to do well in a foreign language.

Hell I got a very similar talk from my counselor when I was a sophomore. The lady looked at me and said well you just barely passed freshman English are you sure French is the way to go? I ignored her and ended up making a 32 in that class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I think she wants you to make an informed decision.  She wanted to make sure you were informed.  *gasp*  She did her job!

daytonbaby210
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Personally, I think that she was a little rude especially with the way that is was put or at least the tone that I am getting from it. I think that if he is comfortable with it and you think he can handle it or that you can help him with it. I say go for it. I took french which to me was harder but that was just because of how you had to pronounce some of the words.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM
You're being way too sensitive. She's trying to help your son.
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Your first thought on Spanish class was that it was fun with making pinatas and tacos, and that's not how high school courses are.  I think you are indeed being overly sensitive.  Do you see your child as University material?  If so, he'll need a foreign language.

Good luck!

yikesitsmindy
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Sounds reasonable to me. If he has trouble with english, spanish will probably be a challenge and hurt his gpa. Languages are easier to learn when you start in elementary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN