Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Restaurant kicked me out because of my son!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My husband's step mother chose a fancy restaurant for her birthday dinner. We went tonight and it was going well, and my 3 year old son was behaving.

The food took a long time to arrive (around 45 minutes), and my son started to get antsy. When he got his food, he took one bite and then started to cry about wanting to go home. My tactic when he gets into these moods is to ignore him, because he usually stops pretty quickly. He was having a little meltdown for no more than 5 minutes when the restaurant manager came over and said we needed to "remove him" until he was quiet and that his "volume" was "unacceptable" and that other patrons were complaining. 

I was taken aback because yes, he was being a little loud, but he was starting to quiet down, and having a stranger come over and say he needed to leave upset him. We ended up all leaving because it ruined the mood.

Would you call back tomorrow and ask to speak to the owner about this?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
finnbar
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM
I agree with ignoring fits but not with letting a fit disrupt fellow diners. You could have taken him out to the car, strapped him in, and sat quietly waiting for him to calm down.
RobinBright
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM
2 moms liked this
No. You should not have disturbed other people's meals by allowing your son's tantrum to continue.
meglovesie11
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
No your child was disrupting people's dinner. They can complain and the management can decide to throw you out. It's life.

Just because you are use to ignoring your screaming child doesn't mean others are willing.
SoInLove515
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
No, I think the manager did the right thing. I would have removed my child before he had to say anything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM
3 moms liked this
Nope. I could see if you were at Wendy's how this would be unacceptaBle but you stated 'fancy restaraunt'. You should have immediately taken your son out until everyone else was finished eating OR he was calmed down!
etsmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

No. If your kid is acting out it is your responsibility as the parent to either settle him down or leave. Other people aren't spending their money to listen to your child have a tantrum.

RMC007
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM
2 moms liked this

It is one thing to ignore your child during a tantrum at home, it is another to ignore your child during a tantrum at a restaurant. You should have taken your son outside, maybe even sat with him in the car, allowed him to cool down, and then, if your son was able to handle it, go back inside and eat. I would have complained too, and I am glad the manager did something about it.

JessM311
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely not! You do not let your kid misbehave at a nice restaurant and you certainly don't ignore them when they do.
Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM

No, I would have taken my child outside to calm him down.  Five minutes is a long time to other diners without children to listen to a child cry or have a fit.  While that might not be a long time in your "mom" time, I know it was to everyone else trying to enjoy their dinner!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM
2 moms liked this

No, 5 minutes may not seem like a long time to you but it's an eternity when you are trying to have a nice meal in a nice restaurant. Not everyone has nor appreciates children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)