Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Restaurant kicked me out because of my son!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My husband's step mother chose a fancy restaurant for her birthday dinner. We went tonight and it was going well, and my 3 year old son was behaving.

The food took a long time to arrive (around 45 minutes), and my son started to get antsy. When he got his food, he took one bite and then started to cry about wanting to go home. My tactic when he gets into these moods is to ignore him, because he usually stops pretty quickly. He was having a little meltdown for no more than 5 minutes when the restaurant manager came over and said we needed to "remove him" until he was quiet and that his "volume" was "unacceptable" and that other patrons were complaining. 

I was taken aback because yes, he was being a little loud, but he was starting to quiet down, and having a stranger come over and say he needed to leave upset him. We ended up all leaving because it ruined the mood.

Would you call back tomorrow and ask to speak to the owner about this?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Nope!

jamamama00
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
No. Ignoring a screaming child is not an option in a restaurant. We remove ours immediately even at places like chili's or whatever. If we were somewhere nice like Ruths Chris or something, I almost certainly wouldn't take my child....but if I had to for some reason, we would get up even before I sensed a meltdown coming on. Almost all nice restaurants are going to have an extended wait time. That's just part of the deal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't have taken a 3 year old to the restaurant in the first place.
Anonymous
3 moms liked this

Good! You ignoring your child while he throws his fit is being very inconsiderate and disrespectful of the other diners who also paid good money to have a nice dinner.   You may like listen to your kid cry and scream, doesn't mean other people like it or want to hear it.  There's a time and place for everything. You were in the wrong place for that type of behavior.  There is no reason to call the manager, the staff did their job in handling a disturbance in their establishment.

Anonymous
1 mom liked this

I'm with the manager on this one!

JTE11
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:22 PM

If it was a family restaurant I might, because kids are expected there but at a fancier place I don't think I would. They don't exactly encourage people to bring kids to those kinds of places and probably only tolerate them if they are quiet, if they're anything like the place where I used to work.  I'd probably just let it go and not go back there until they are much older.

Anonymous

Troll. 

hargonagain
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I would have taken my child to the restroom as soon as he started to whine and reminded him about how to behave in a restaurant.  Could you have gotten him some crackers or something to keep him busy?  Ignoring a crying child works at home, but not in public.  The restaurant was 100% correct in asking you to remove him. 

britmichele
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM
What restaurant? Do they have a children's menu?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM
2 moms liked this

That's the thing, you don't get to ignore your misbehaving child when you're out in public. You either rectify the situation immediately or remove him, there are no other options. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured