Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Restaurant kicked me out because of my son!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My husband's step mother chose a fancy restaurant for her birthday dinner. We went tonight and it was going well, and my 3 year old son was behaving.

The food took a long time to arrive (around 45 minutes), and my son started to get antsy. When he got his food, he took one bite and then started to cry about wanting to go home. My tactic when he gets into these moods is to ignore him, because he usually stops pretty quickly. He was having a little meltdown for no more than 5 minutes when the restaurant manager came over and said we needed to "remove him" until he was quiet and that his "volume" was "unacceptable" and that other patrons were complaining. 

I was taken aback because yes, he was being a little loud, but he was starting to quiet down, and having a stranger come over and say he needed to leave upset him. We ended up all leaving because it ruined the mood.

Would you call back tomorrow and ask to speak to the owner about this?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Replies (41-50):
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM
4 moms liked this

Um, no.  In the future don't bring a freaking 3-year-old to a restaurant that caters to adults.  Seriously.  If you're paying $30 - $75 per person for a meal, do you really want to put up with someone's little brat having a meltdown?  No.  (You may have the sweetest boy in the world, but people will see him as a brat when it's after 7 pm, the kid hasn't eaten, and he's causing a scene in a nice restaurant.)  

SaratheV
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't have taken him to a nice restaurant where kids don't belong.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM
3 moms liked this

If you are in an upscale restaurant, you have to keep your child quiet.  Why should anyone be expected to tolerate loud crying in such a place?  You should have made sure he was entertained with quiet toys or better yet, you should have gotten a sitter. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM

No, I would have removed my child when she started to cause such a fuss. Or actually all I would have had to do was give her a warning and the mad momma look. She knows how to act in fancy restaurants. I personally do not care if a child is throwing a fit while I am eating. Many people do care though. I don't think it is fair to them that you decided to just ignore your child and let them suffer the noise of it.

Bekki
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM
2 moms liked this

No. I would've removed my child as soon as he started acting up and either gotten him calmed down or left. How inconsiderate of you to expect a restaurant full of people to listen to your screaming child while you "ignored" (i.e. refused to deal with) him.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM
6 moms liked this
So you wanted all the people in the resturant to just wait out your kids temper tantrum? The world doesn't revolve around your child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StacyO722
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I agree with most of the other ladies. I would have taken him outside and calmed him down, then brought him back inside. Letting him fuss and throw a tantrum at a restaurant, no matter how fancy, is not the thing to do.

rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM
I wouldn't call the manager. It wasn't the restaurants fault. Its not your kids fault he got tired of waiting but either order starters so he doesn't have to wait that long or leave him home. Or at least take him outside until the food arrives if he's acting up.
KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I wouldn't call the restaurant. Honestly, in order for the manager to have asked you to leave, there must have been a lot of complaints or it must have been going on for longer than you thought.

invisibleme
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM
I agree with the pp's. You were wrong.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)