Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Restaurant kicked me out because of my son!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My husband's step mother chose a fancy restaurant for her birthday dinner. We went tonight and it was going well, and my 3 year old son was behaving.

The food took a long time to arrive (around 45 minutes), and my son started to get antsy. When he got his food, he took one bite and then started to cry about wanting to go home. My tactic when he gets into these moods is to ignore him, because he usually stops pretty quickly. He was having a little meltdown for no more than 5 minutes when the restaurant manager came over and said we needed to "remove him" until he was quiet and that his "volume" was "unacceptable" and that other patrons were complaining. 

I was taken aback because yes, he was being a little loud, but he was starting to quiet down, and having a stranger come over and say he needed to leave upset him. We ended up all leaving because it ruined the mood.

Would you call back tomorrow and ask to speak to the owner about this?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Replies (601-610):
cajungal76
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 3:16 PM
I wouldn't of brought my child into that type of restaraunt. Some places are not for children and upscale dining places are one of them. I would of got a babysitter for that night. And if I didn't have one, I just wouldn't go.
EvilQueenMommy
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I work with children all day. If I'm at a nice restaurant, I do not want to listen to anyone's screaming child. Sorry.

jenniferv27
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM
You do realize u just said the same thing I did

Quoting Amybelle:

Ok, here's an AMAZING  idea, I KNOW it will blow you away, prepare yourself to be SHOCKED...... you can REMOVE a child who is having a tantrum from the situation until they "choose" to stop, take them for a walk outside, to the car or to the restroom.....incredible idea, isn't it!!!!!! 

Quoting jenniferv27:

Taking you're child out of the resturaunt is what u should have done but those of u who say control your child...that had to be the must absurd thing I have ever heard because anyone with kids knows that when a child is having a tantrum will stop when they choose to not when the parent "controls"them.

ChristyG2012
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Nope. You were wrong.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Why wouldn't you just remove the child from an uncomfortable situation? No one wants to hear your kid throwing a fit. It's not your child's fault he was acting like a child. Child like behavior is not acceptable every where. If you we're at a wedding and he started crying - wouldn't you get up so the other guests weren't disturbed?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM
You should of taken him outside not ignored him people don't want to hear your kid....
bmommyx2
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

yes

KHardik
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

No need to be rude. Yes I have been to nice resturants but when I go out in public I don't expect children to be perfectly behaved all the time.  But I read over a couple of other posts after I wrote my comment. Someone mentioned that the original post was probably one of those mom's that doesn't like to be a parent and the kid was probably having a major meltdown for a lot longer than five minutes. I hadn't thought about that immediately. Once I thought about it for a minute I realized I know a couple people like that too and this sounds exactly how they would explain it. So I take back what I said about calling the resturant.

Quoting Amybelle:

I'm guessing you've never been to a resturant "fancier" than Red Robin

Quoting KHardik:

I would call and talk to someone. He's a kid and when you allow children into a restaraunt you know that's going to happen. Either the patrons that were complaining need to take the stick out of their asses or I wouldn't go to that restaraunt anymore. I've been to places that have had some pretty roudy kids and the parents do basically nothing to stop them and no one told them to "remove the child" or leave.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 9, 2013 at 6:38 AM
yes and also would not go back to that restaurant. Tell him that if his staff had gotten the food out in a timely manner this would not have happened . 45 minutes was way to long . Personaly I would have left before this.
mommyof3_34
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I totally disagree with taking my children to those restaurants being that the food they serve is horrible for people's health.

I think it's interesting that adults now a days forget they were once toddlers also and for them to expect a child who is only 1 to know how to behave or to understand that they are in a public place is ridiculous and more childish then the actual children's actions. Kids that age don't know or understand that setting. And parents should not have to feed their children nasty unhealthy food just because some people don't like to hear a child cry. We all have to eat, so adults aren't better then children. Why don't you suggest that the adults leave if their so bothered by the kids? Or better yet, choose an adult only place to eat. I think those are better options.

SMH, ridiculous!

Quoting Lorik1969:

When said toddler is annoying the rest of the guests, it's the manager's job to take care of the situation. Screaming toddlers belong at Chuck E Cheese or McDonalds, not an adult oriented restaurant. Better to have one crazy lady complain than to give discounts to a bunch of ticked off customers.

Quoting mommyof3_34:

Yes I would. I don't understand why some restaurants think its ok to ask people to leave b/c of a toddler. That is so stupid. I would definitely call the owner and write reviews online.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)