Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

have you ever heard of a 504 plan?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Its for kids with special needs that don't qualify for ieps. It gives them extra help. Never heard of it before
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Replies (31-40):
Moki75
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM

We lived in a small town in MO before.  Since he was not mentally retarded they wouldn't give him an IEP.  I only got accommodations for his sensory disorders (which is part of his autism)

Now in TX he is on a full IEP

Quoting Moki75:

yes.  my son had one long before I could ever get an IEP for him.  

He is autistic btw

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM
What a Wrong number to use for such a great thing!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Yup, pretty sure it has been around a lot longer then she has :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you sure the program isn't named after her? Because she's the poster child of what might happen without one?

Quoting Anonymous:

No, it's a real thing in schools. It has nothing to do with her, sorry

Quoting Anonymous:

504? Oh...I get it. Witty.

La_Vie_en_R0se
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Quoting RMC007:

Yes. The difference between a 504 plan and an IEP is, 504 plans only offer accommodations and IEPs offer accommodations and modifications. All states do things differently, but in Texas, a student will only receive an IEP if the student requires a modification in one of the state standards.  Astudent that has dyslexia and requires that test be given orally would be given a 504 plan. It is much, much easier to get a 504 plan than it is to get an IEP.

And also an IEP would qualify for special education services.
RMC007
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Quoting La_Vie_en_R0se:

Quoting RMC007:

Yes. The difference between a 504 plan and an IEP is, 504 plans only offer accommodations and IEPs offer accommodations and modifications. All states do things differently, but in Texas, a student will only receive an IEP if the student requires a modification in one of the state standards.  Astudent that has dyslexia and requires that test be given orally would be given a 504 plan. It is much, much easier to get a 504 plan than it is to get an IEP.

And also an IEP would qualify for special education services.

Exactly.

catngabsmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
My youngest dd has a 504, hers is for blood sugar issues.
La_Vie_en_R0se
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Quoting vermontmoms:

Glad that his speech is better! Are you living in VT? I lived there my entire life, and just recently relocated out of state. I miss it!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Yes, my son has one.
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Thanks!

No, we don't live in VT currently. We moved to Colorado and absolutely love it! Vermont was such a great place to raise young kids but the winters were cold. Colorado has the same ideals w/out the sub-zero temps.

Quoting La_Vie_en_R0se:

Quoting vermontmoms:

Glad that his speech is better! Are you living in VT? I lived there my entire life, and just recently relocated out of state. I miss it!
La_Vie_en_R0se
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Quoting vermontmoms:

It is cold there! We are in new England still but on the ocean and more southern, I'm hoping the winters aren't as severe!

I've been to Vail, CO and it was beautiful. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)