Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

should sahms be able to have depression/anxiety? EDIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 115 Replies
I ask because I recently got diagnosed with depression, although I've been depressed all my life. I grew up in a DV home and saw everything. I remember as a 5yr old, trying to get my dad to stop beating up my mom. My childhood is a very painful memory. When I was 12, I begged my mom to divorce my dad, and she did and I havent seen him since. When I was 13yrs old, I was molested by my moms new boyfriend. I began to cut myself, mostly for attention...then it started getting really bad. A friend ended up talking to a school councelor about me when I was in high school. My mother was no lonfer with that boyfriend but I still was very depressed and was still cutting. I went to counceling, but had to leave it since my mom couldn't afford it.

I got pregnant right out of high school and learned how to keep my depression, anger, and cutting under control for my son's sake. Now I have my 2nd son and I cut myself a few weeks ago . I'm very ashamed of myself and have zero self confidence.My anxiety is sky high and my depression is no longer manageable without meds. It seems as tho my marriage isn't goinf well, although I do feel happy in it at times. My mother in law is very manipulative so that's why we argue the majority of the time. I'm just so depressed. I've began to see a psycologist and a psyciatrist.

I just want to know what you all think.Should a samh be able to have depression/anxiety issues? I try and talk to my best friend about it and she just doesnt get it. She says I shouldn't be feeling this way when I have all I could ever want. My dh makes more than enough. We have no major bills except for mortgage. We travel a lot. And the main thing is that I get to stay home with my boys. Idk what to think anymore and how to snap out of it. I'm ashamed of being depressed and having anxiety attacks. I just don't know how to stop feeling this way. :(

Sorry for the typos, I'm mobile...

Edit- I just want to thank everyone that has responded to my post, especially for the lady that actually looked up and posted a bunch of help numbers!!
Of course I feel as tho everyone is entitled to feel the way they feel. I was just having a real bad day and the fact that I feel as tho no one around me thinks i SHOULD be depressed according to them bexause I am a sahm and have everything I could want Is just hard to deal with . I am in therapy and taking meds which I feel isn't helping me, but I will not give up. I want to be the person who I used to be and I will. Thank you so much to everyone who has taken their time to pray for me and everyone who has reaponded to my post. I feel better knowinf I'm not alone in mt feelings.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:38 AM
I have depression and panic attacks for as long as I can remember . When I'm preggo it gets 100% worst even when I am so very happy about being preggo
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:38 AM
Btw, I do things for myself as well like bike riding, photography, and crocheting. Latelt I haven't been able to enjoy it at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:38 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:38 AM
3 moms liked this
When you gave clinical depression it doesn't matter how perfect things are, there is always stress. Sounds like your friend isn't a very good one.
GamerM0M
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:40 AM

I can actually relate to your story very closely.... feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

Piskie
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Your friend is an idiot. You feel how you do... Theres nothing wrong with that. Have you ever spoken to a counsellor about it? They really can help.
Peaceful.chaos
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:41 AM
1 mom liked this
The fact that you're aware is good, and you shouldn't let it go unchecked. It's okay to get help. Your children need a healthy mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:41 AM
9 moms liked this
That's like asking if a sahm should be able to have diabetes or cancer. It's a medical problem. It doesn't care who you are it can affect anyone.
sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:43 AM
3 moms liked this
Depression and anxiety can attack anyone. Sahm, working moms, single moms, married moms and everyone in between. Im sorry you are going through this. Do not question being able to be delressed because its not something you desire, its something that happens and you can not control it.
justone_jen
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't be ashamed. Your friend is an asshole.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN