Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If the supply list says not to put your child's name on their supplies, do you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 225 Replies

Poll

Question: If the supply list says not to put your child's name on their supplies, do you?

Options:

Yes, I bought them for my kid so my kid's name is going on it

No, I do as I am told

Other?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 237

View Results

My child's list (second grade) asks for 8 spiral notebooks, 8 folders and 4 composition books in addition to other things. Right next to those three items is says "don't put the child's name on them". I found out that this teacher asks for extra individual things, like notebooks and folders so give to the kids who don't have but she doesn't put on the list that they are for other kids, she lets the parents assume the supplies are for their kid. I send in supplies for my kid and my kid only so why shouldn't I put my kids name on them? I got my DD Disney princess and Tinkerbell notebooks and folders, I let her pick them out and yes, they are just for her. So yeah, I put her name on the front cover of the notebook and along the side and the front cover of the notebooks.

I just don't get why any teacher thinks they have the right to take someone that a parent buys for their child and give it to another student, how is that not stealing?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Have you tried talking to the teacher yet?

Lottie925
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I would for items that I know are for my child. So, her calculator, her pencil box, her 2 folders (which we were supposed to label. But for things like a notebook? You don't know if your child is going to be using every single 1. So I might label 1 and not the rest.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM
4 moms liked this

Write your senate. More of our taxes deserve to go to EDUCATION. It comes out of the teachers pocket otherwise and they make maybe 30-40k a year. Maybe.

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM
2 moms liked this

You are entering the "we have to take care of all the kids whose parents won't" land of bull$hitness.... GL

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM
8 moms liked this

When I buy school supplies, they are for MY kids and no one else. Their names go on them. Period.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I called her  direct line at school but I haven't heard back from her. But the way I see it, if they are in fact for my own kid, then who cares that her name is on it. If some are for other kids, well too bad, I didn't buy them for other kids.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Have you tried talking to the teacher yet?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Oh god.
*groans*
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I do. I buy plastic folders because they last the whole year. I buy name brand because they work better. If I buy it I want my child to use it. I spoke to the teacher last year and told her my child preferred plastic folders and the brands we bought and it possible to let him have them. She didn't have a problem with it at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM
6 moms liked this

Or she can send notes home to parents until the supplies come in. Tax dollars don't cover school supplies. My family of 5 lives on $45,000. While I have no issue providing supplies for my kids, I don't think it's my job to provide for others. If she was HONEST and asked for extra stuff for kids without, I would probably donate a few things, probably the plain and less expensive notebooks and folders.

Quoting Anonymous:

Write your senate. More of our taxes deserve to go to EDUCATION. It comes out of the teachers pocket otherwise and they make maybe 30-40k a year. Maybe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:37 PM
5 moms liked this
No. That stuff is so cheap. I'm poor but seriously, plain folders & notebooks cost pennies this time of year. Now, if I bought a special item, I'd mark it. But, I wouldn't buy all special items. Help out a little.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured