Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A Santa Claus debate.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
I've always felt torn about the whole Santa issue. Part of me thinks its fun to have something like that to believe in and adds extra magic to the holidays another part of me feels like its more lying to my child then pretending with her because she doesn't know we are pretending.

I was pretty crushed when I found out there was no Santa. Another classmate found out and told everyone what her parents told her after she found packages earlier than Christmas.

I guess I feel kinda bad because I told her a lie and one day that lie will make her feel horrible and Christmas will lose some of the Santa magic for her. I know that's not all Christmas is about and so does she but sometimes I don't know if I made the right decision going along with the whole Santa thing

Where do you stand on it? Do you tell your kids there is a Santa or not? And for those of you who have kids who don't believe do you ask them not to tell the other kids?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM

I love Santa and so did my kids. Mine are grown now. They believed until 5th grade. Once they stopped believing it makes the holiday less exciting. My kids were told welcome to the "in the know" club. Yes we told them not to tell other kids. I'm pretty sure they didn't. They we rent upset that Santa wasn't real. We still get and give "Santa Gifts"

AHmom103
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I didn't want to do the whole Santa thing with my kids, mostly because I find it stupid. But my husband was 100% the opposite, so I go along with it. I don't really care enough about it either way, I guess. My kids like getting stuff from Santa, but they also get a ton of stuff that isn't from Santa, so I don't think it will be as big a problem when they find out he isn't real as it is for some kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:57 AM
I think I was so upset because I was still pretty young I don't think I was ready for the news lol

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I love Santa and so did my kids. Mine are grown now. They believed until 5th grade. Once they stopped believing it makes the holiday less exciting. My kids were told welcome to the "in the know" club. Yes we told them not to tell other kids. I'm pretty sure they didn't. They we rent upset that Santa wasn't real. We still get and give "Santa Gifts"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:58 AM
We write on some packages Santa and some mommy and daddy. At least when she finds out she will realize mommy and daddy are still getting her stuff. She's almost 7 and still believes

Quoting AHmom103:

I didn't want to do the whole Santa thing with my kids, mostly because I find it stupid. But my husband was 100% the opposite, so I go along with it. I don't really care enough about it either way, I guess. My kids like getting stuff from Santa, but they also get a ton of stuff that isn't from Santa, so I don't think it will be as big a problem when they find out he isn't real as it is for some kids.

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:00 AM

WAY BACK when we celebrated Christmas, we did not do the Santa thing, we didn't want an imaginary person to be the focus of the holiday.

We haven't celebrated Christmas in about 16-17 years....so, obviously, our kids know Santa is not real.  We have always told the kids that it is NOT their place to tell other kids about Santa.  Most of their friends don't celebrate Christmas either - so the topic only ever really came up around their cousins, and all it took was a reminder before visiting and our kids never let the cat out of the bag.

Opal614
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:01 AM
We have always told my kids the truth. Santa is like Spongebob, Dora or any other tv/book character. He is make believe fun, and we enjoy telling stories about him. Pretending Santa is real is part of the holiday, but they enjoy that aspect without feeling like they have been fooled down the line. Ditto the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy.

It's not for everyone, but it works for us. It broke my heart when I found my already filled Easter basket when I was 5, and my sister was devastated when I showed her. I don't want to repeat that scene in my house.
destiny3513
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:04 AM
I didn't want to do it but my bf says kids need it because its fun.... So we will do Santa.
TeamTARDIS
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:05 AM
I didn't grow up with Santa and neither did dh. We won't be doing it with our son either. It doesn't affect our Christmas at all.
NoahandEliza
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:08 AM
We do Santa, though I'm not sure ds has ever really believed me. He has 8 million questions to disprove his existance. When he finds out for sure, it'll probably be a loud "I KNEW IT!!" He will be asked not to ruin it for his much younger siblings or any classmates that still believe.
CampClan
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:09 AM
My youngest is 4 & I think I messed up big time last year when I hyped up that stupid elf on the shelf. I realize he is so impressionable & needs to know why WE celebrate Christmas & not some fake, made up reason. I learned my lesson last year & decided when Easter came around not to hype up the bunny. I made sure he knew why we celebrate Easter & that the bunny doesn't visit our house. I'm doing the same this year with Christmas. BTW- my older kids all know the truth as well & have been "faking it" for the sake of the youngest.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)