Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A Santa Claus debate.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I've always felt torn about the whole Santa issue. Part of me thinks its fun to have something like that to believe in and adds extra magic to the holidays another part of me feels like its more lying to my child then pretending with her because she doesn't know we are pretending.

I was pretty crushed when I found out there was no Santa. Another classmate found out and told everyone what her parents told her after she found packages earlier than Christmas.

I guess I feel kinda bad because I told her a lie and one day that lie will make her feel horrible and Christmas will lose some of the Santa magic for her. I know that's not all Christmas is about and so does she but sometimes I don't know if I made the right decision going along with the whole Santa thing

Where do you stand on it? Do you tell your kids there is a Santa or not? And for those of you who have kids who don't believe do you ask them not to tell the other kids?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM
It's August..way too early for this debate. Imagination isn't lying. I pretended we were being chased by indians with mine. I pretended that a water bottle held magic monster keep away spray. And I pretended Santa came and brought gifts. I don't lie to my kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:15 AM

THERES NO SANTA??!!!   stick out tongue mini

Anyway, We so go along with the Santa story and will continue to. ;) Usually, when kids find out Santa is really Mom and/or Dad, the kids are old enough that it isnt a terrible blow. ;) I dont think youre going to shatter DD's world to go along with Santa for now and let her fully enjoy it. When the time is right, she will understand why you did it and Im sure wont be distraught over it. There is so little kids have today that we had in the way of things that got us REALLY excited just thinking about. Id say let your DD have it while it lasts. ;) We even still do some Santa gifts for adults. No reason to take something that inspires such smiles away. <3

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:15 AM
I realize most people are never damaged long term by the realization there is no Santa. I guess it was just something on my mind and I realize August is a weird time to have the thought but I was making up a list of some things my daughter had been saying she wanted throughout the year I guess that's what sparked the question a bit
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I see what you're saying. I agree when they are older its probably not so bad. I was pretty young and was upset about it my sister was too but my brother sorta just quit believing around 10 or 11 and he didn't seem so bothered

Quoting Anonymous:

Anyway, We so go along with the Santa story and will continue to. ;) Usually, when kids find out Santa is really Mom and/or Dad, the kids are old enough that it isnt a terrible blow. ;) I dont think youre going to shatter DD's world to go along with Santa for now and let her fully enjoy it. When the time is right, she will understand why you did it and Im sure wont be distraught over it. There is so little kids have today that we had in the way of things that got us REALLY excited just thinking about. Id say let your DD have it while it lasts. ;) We even still do some Santa gifts for adults. No reason to take something that inspires such smiles away. <3

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:17 AM
I told my daughter the truth about who St Nicholas was.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:21 AM

we do Santa. My daughter is almost 9 and she is starting to ask questions, saying that kids at school said Santa isn't real. I asked her what she thought, she said that she thinks he is real and that everyone can be Santa. She said that she is Santa when she picks out or makes special gifts for her family and friends. So I think she knows, but it's the spirit and magic of giving that I am glad she still believes in. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:22 AM
I see the difference between make believe and lying. The difference is, the children don't realize you are playing make believe so to them it is a lie.
mcginnisc
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM

We do not do Santa, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy. 

Dh and I do relate it to lying and we have vowed to be truthful with our kids. It is vitally important for us to always be truthful as our oldest is adopted and needs to know we will never withhold the truth about her adoption story. We feel that if we lie about Santa, the kids might one day question if we have ever lied to them about important things as well. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I understand. :) I found out when I found the Squeeky Mouse Stuffed Toy I wanted in my mothers closet WAY before x-mas. I was upset but got over it fairly quickly. ;) 

And LOL! I think boys just dont care as long as theyre still getting the gifts. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I see what you're saying. I agree when they are older its probably not so bad. I was pretty young and was upset about it my sister was too but my brother sorta just quit believing around 10 or 11 and he didn't seem so bothered

Quoting Anonymous:

Mom2MikeynLando
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

We love santa here.  This may be our last year with the magic of santa as my kids are 7&8.  Some of my greatest moments in my own childhood revolve around santa.  We do Christmas big here in my home.  We do activities leading up to Christmas (Santa breakfasts, watching him arrive at the mall, Christmas Candylane at hershey park, light displays, etc etc).  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)