Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A Santa Claus debate.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I've always felt torn about the whole Santa issue. Part of me thinks its fun to have something like that to believe in and adds extra magic to the holidays another part of me feels like its more lying to my child then pretending with her because she doesn't know we are pretending.

I was pretty crushed when I found out there was no Santa. Another classmate found out and told everyone what her parents told her after she found packages earlier than Christmas.

I guess I feel kinda bad because I told her a lie and one day that lie will make her feel horrible and Christmas will lose some of the Santa magic for her. I know that's not all Christmas is about and so does she but sometimes I don't know if I made the right decision going along with the whole Santa thing

Where do you stand on it? Do you tell your kids there is a Santa or not? And for those of you who have kids who don't believe do you ask them not to tell the other kids?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:42 AM
Replies (21-30):
highlandmum
by Spunky on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Everytime I read something like this I think of - "Yes Virgina there is a Santa Claus"

"DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
"Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
"Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'
"Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

"VIRGINIA O'HANLON.
"115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET."

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

RainbowMom132
by Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM
We DO tell our kids about Santa. And to be honest I have no guilt about it. We never thought of it as lying. I was never hurt when I found out. And i still, in a small way, believe Santa is real.
lchung1983
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I'm in the same boat as you are - I don't know how to feel about the whole thing. I hate outright lying to my kids about Santa, but I also don't want to crush them since they already believe (same goes for Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc). 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I love how you handle it.

Quoting Opal614:

We have always told my kids the truth. Santa is like Spongebob, Dora or any other tv/book character. He is make believe fun, and we enjoy telling stories about him. Pretending Santa is real is part of the holiday, but they enjoy that aspect without feeling like they have been fooled down the line. Ditto the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy.

It's not for everyone, but it works for us. It broke my heart when I found my already filled Easter basket when I was 5, and my sister was devastated when I showed her. I don't want to repeat that scene in my house.

rory10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:38 AM

As far as finding presents, I've already told my 2 yr old that Santa asks me to help wrap them because I love it so much. As far as believing if he exists, she's seen him too many times at the mall not to at this point. This will be my first year in my our own place, so this should be a very fun year.

jenerica.
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:40 AM
I didn't plan to participate in the Santa lie. But one day my dd pointed at a picture of the little fat elf, and said, "Santa!" I don't teach her anything about Santa. Everything she thinks she knows, she has picked up from TV, friends, movies, books, or she has just made that shit up in her mind. When she asks me a question about the mythology, I deflect and ask her what she thinks. One of these days she will figure it out, but I am in no hurry to burst her bubble.
o0gone0o
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:43 AM
We dont really focus on santa as a gift giver, but they get excited to see him in the store just like they get excited to see other people they know.
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM

he's real dude, my dd met him a week ago at the beach

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I have always believed and will continue to believe in Santa. Even after finding the x-mas gifts early ... silly parents tried hiding them next door at our grandma's. 

I told our son about Santa. When he said that he didn't believe (can't remember what age) ... I said, "Okay, so no more Christmas then. No tree, no decorations, and definitely NO PRESENTS. So you need to think about that real hard and let me know."  

So, needless to say, he "believed" in Santa again. =o)

embrigmom
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM

You know honestly my dh and I went round and round on weather or not we were going to do Santa with our dd (she's 18 months old, we talked about this all while I was preg) We thought about not doing santa with her at all. But then we came to the conclusion that santa is brought up in school with both teachers and classmates talking about it, we have nices and nephews that all belive in santa so we figured it would be to hard not to do Santa, and would make her be the odd one out. So guess Santa will be part of the holiday for as long as she belives.

My older dd stoped beliving a year or two ago, but understands that her cousins still belive and she now needs to do what adults do and keep up the "game of santa". She knows she will have to do this for her sister too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)