Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A Santa Claus debate.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I've always felt torn about the whole Santa issue. Part of me thinks its fun to have something like that to believe in and adds extra magic to the holidays another part of me feels like its more lying to my child then pretending with her because she doesn't know we are pretending.

I was pretty crushed when I found out there was no Santa. Another classmate found out and told everyone what her parents told her after she found packages earlier than Christmas.

I guess I feel kinda bad because I told her a lie and one day that lie will make her feel horrible and Christmas will lose some of the Santa magic for her. I know that's not all Christmas is about and so does she but sometimes I don't know if I made the right decision going along with the whole Santa thing

Where do you stand on it? Do you tell your kids there is a Santa or not? And for those of you who have kids who don't believe do you ask them not to tell the other kids?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:42 AM
Replies (31-35):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Our 10 year olds called us liars when they found out, lol.

We just brushed it off as trying to make it more fun.  Kind of like telling campfire stories.  It's for the thrill, not the facts.

They bought into it that long with the reasoning that "Mom and Dad would never spend that much money on us..."  LOL.  We live very frugally and although we don't break the bank at Christmas, they do get several things.  (And I mean I wrap every book separately, every Smencil and tiny little thing..).

But they sure do appreciate the presents they DO get because now they know it's us being responsible throughout the year and in turn being able to indulge them a little.  Not some random guy who gives Timmy down the street a new bike, ipod AND a playstation and then gives them some books and other small items with only 1 "big" thing.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM

My kids believe in the spirit of Santa. I'm 32 and my parents never told me that Santa wasn't real. My mother just told me that "as long as you believe in the spirit of giving and love that Santa will always live" And that's what I've passed along to my kids. Some jerk in my DD class told her ( first grade ) that Santa wasn't real she came home devastated. I reminded her that so long as she believed, that he lived and that the jerk kid in her class must be pretty sad that he can't believe in magic any more.

lovemyairman150
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Mobile Photo

Idk how well you can read the letter, but it's a letter explaining the spirit of Christmas and the whole dad/mom=Santa deal. I personally plan on explaining it to my son this way when he is older.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

My kid figured it out when she was 4. We never pushed her with the whole 'He's real!' stuff, but we did and still tell her the story and have Santa pics taken.  Once she started figuring out reindeer can't fly and he can't fit down chimneys, we agreed that he was a made up story and we celebrate because it is so much fun.  

And we have coached her to not go telling everybody he's not real. Let the other kids have their fun, too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM

We don't believe in Santa, the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny.  I just can't bring myself to lie to my children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN