Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Toxins in Your Body Say Whether You're Rich or Poor -- Which Are You?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM
  • 71 Replies

The Toxins in Your Body Say Whether You're Rich or Poor -- Which Are You?

by Maressa Brown

sushiWe've been told that our chances of getting this disease or that illness are based on genetics or environment. But it may also have something to do with our bank accounts. And I'm not talking about being able to afford better health care! How rich or how poor we are may be a factor leading to whether we end up suffering from Alzheimer's or infertility. That's because, according to University of Exeter researchers who used data from the U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, rich and poor people have different toxins in their bodies.

For instance, compared to poorer people, the wealthy had higher levels of mercury, arsenic, caesium and thallium, all of which tend to accumulate in fish and shellfish. Thus, people who can afford to eat lots of pricey sushi, lobsters, and shrimp are at higher risk. The rich also had higher levels of benzophenone-3, AKA oxybenzone, which some experts say may actually encourage skin cancer. Grrreat!

Maybe because they're slathering it on while on fancy vacays? (Although I'd argue that a lot of people are starting to realize that old school zinc's where it's at.)

As for the poor? They're apparently smoking more, so they have higher levels of lead and cadmium. Poor people in America also had higher levels of hormone and fertility-disrupting Bisphenol-A (BPA), because it's often used in plastic food containers and cans. Ugh.

While I'm sure there's SOME merit to learning what your wealth says about your toxic burden, overall, this seems pretty silly, amirite? How does it really help to know this? Ultimately, we're all human and we're all being POISONED by our environment! No one -- rich or poor -- should have to worry that the "healthy" fish they're eating is actually poisoning them with neurotoxic mercury. No one -- rich or poor -- should have to be concerned about BPA in their lunch. And yet, we're ALL being exposed to these things right and left.

No one is helped by knowing that being rich or poor will raise their risk of carrying around this or that toxin. No one toxin is better or worse than another. In the end, all of these man-made pollutants are horrible and, geeze, now whether you're rich or poor, I guess you have a reason to be depressed.

How do you feel about this study?

by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Aug. 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Well, I eat a lot of shrimp and sushi but I also smoke a carton a month. So, I suppose that means I'm middle class.

Oh and this is just ignorant. The wealthy smoke and "poor" eat shellfish. 

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 9:59 AM
4 moms liked this

People who live on the coast tend to eat more seafood.  When I was a kid, my dad would go fishing all the time and we had the freezer full of fish and crabs that he caught.  High levels of mercury can be found in cities with coal fire power plants, which affects EVERYONE living there regardless of income level.  The study is flawed and misses the point.  Everyone should be concerned about the pollutants in our waterways and our bodies.

DavonnaC
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM
11 moms liked this

No fish or smoking for me! I guess I have no class lol. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it has a lot to do with being educated about what you eat. We are stastically speaking poor, but I manage to buy more than half of our food, whole, fresh, and organic. I don't buy anything in cans or plastic, we don't drink faucet water, I don't buy anything with those dyes in it, and I make sure I know what's in my food. The problem with most people is that they don't look into what's in what they eat.

Kaybean
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting DavonnaC:

No fish or smoking for me! I guess I have no class lol. 

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM

First, you need to figure out if 'higher level' actually means 'clinically significant'.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Uhm. Well. I don't eat seafood because I'm allergic, and I don't smoke. So...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I've lived in some of the most coveted parts of the US near the beach and am well off. I hate shell fish and only recently started to add fish as part of a healthy diet. Whoever did this "study" generalized far too much.

Also, I have never smoked, stopped using BPA laden plastics when everyone else did, and am still second child infertil.

milkmama36
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Maybe the study seems silly and classist now, but who knows if this will hep some researcher in years to come?

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Aug. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

We fall in the middle class, in toxins and in wealth......we limit the amount of fish and shellfish we consume, even though we love it, because we know the risks.  We don't smoke or drink excessively, do drugs etc....also because we know the risks.  We eat entirely organic, again because we know the risks. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)