Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We are NOT getting another dog!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
DH came home from work yesterday and informed me that he put his name down to get a boxer. Wait...what? No way in hell are we getting another dog!

We have one dog now that I adopted 2 years ago. DH worked out of state and I was alone with the kids in the middle of nowhere. I wanted the protection, so I talked it over with DH and he agreed it was a good idea. Our dog is a lab mix, so she's pretty big. I did all the training and caring for her because DH was gone.

We are an active family and take 3 or 4 vacations a year. Our dog is either boarded, goes with us or stays with friends or family. We can not add another big dog! It's like deciding to have another child. And he made this decision alone!

I'm planning on going back to work since our youngest starts school this year. Who is going to care for this puppy while everyone is gone all day? Boxers need a lot of exercise. Who is going to do all of this? Ugh, why cant he think of this??
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM
We dont have room in either vehicle for another dog. We have a focus and a 4 door Tacoma. With 2 children and a one big dog, there isn't room for another.
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM

My best friend raises boxers, they have to be crated the first 3 years or so or the will destroy your house. That might help with your decision or rather talking him out of getting a boxer.

I'm talking about boxers that have to be left alone for extended hours.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I would call the place and take his name off the list.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM
A friend of ours has a boxer and I know they are not the best dogs to be left alone a lot. It's like DH didn't think of all the responsibility that comes along with a new puppy.

Quoting DanaG70:

My best friend raises boxers, they have to be crated the first 3 years or so or the will destroy your house. That might help with your decision or rather talking him out of getting a boxer.

I'm talking about boxers that have to be left alone for extended hours.

furbabymum
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I'm fairly ok with animals. We've got a good set up. We currently have 4 dogs as our oldest just passed away 2 weeks ago, before that we had 5 and we've had up to 6. I also bought our St Bernard with little input from my DH. I pretty much just informed him it was happening. Of course, we are that kind of couple. He'd die if it had been anything but a dog. Dogs, we're cool with. Bring em on!

Doesn't sound like you are that way and thus he made a HUGE mistake.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I flat out told him No. In 7 years of marriage, I have never "forbid" him from doing anything but I'm putting my foot down on this one.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Good. I'm not a fan of people adopting dogs on a whim. It's not fair to the dogs to be with people who aren't willing or able to put in the time and effort.

Quoting Anonymous:

I flat out told him No. In 7 years of marriage, I have never "forbid" him from doing anything but I'm putting my foot down on this one.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

2ltlmonkeyz
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM
2 big dogs in the house does not sound fun to me. Well any dogs in the house, but I'm not an animal person. I would definitely tell him no . GL
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I am the type of person that can't handle a lot of stress or noise. I get anxious and nervous. That's one reason we only have 2 children. One dog at a time is my max!

Quoting furbabymum:

I'm fairly ok with animals. We've got a good set up. We currently have 4 dogs as our oldest just passed away 2 weeks ago, before that we had 5 and we've had up to 6. I also bought our St Bernard with little input from my DH. I pretty much just informed him it was happening. Of course, we are that kind of couple. He'd die if it had been anything but a dog. Dogs, we're cool with. Bring em on!

Doesn't sound like you are that way and thus he made a HUGE mistake.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I love my boxer. But he is very attached to all of us. But a superb dog.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN