Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think my doctor is a loon!!!???

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 50 Replies

This post is a follow up to my last

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/18885239/I_feel_like_im_being_punished_for_being_healthy_ETA?highlight=238847450#post238847450

I now have my 3 hour glucose test scheduled for next monday at 8:30am.. Wish me luck!! Im not gonna lie im scared and nervous.

I also feel like I have lost all confidence in this practice. I had to get doctor approval to make the appointment. So while I was talking to one of the doctors I asked her about the test and stuff. I told her I didnt think I would be able to keep the drink down (knowing my body) and asked her what will happen if I am not able to do so (I was told it was automatic failure by the nurse). 

She told me I have to keep taking it until I can keep it down. She said I have no other choice. She said at some point my body will just have to keep it down (glad to know she apparently is able to tell my body what to do). She also said the nurse was wrong and my diet has nothing to do with why I failed my first test. She said if anything I should have passed it and 149 is really high (the cutoff is 140). 

She told me I probably have GD and until I complete the test (AKA keep the drink down) I will be treated as if I have GD. She said I will have to be put on insulin, prick my finger 4x a day and go to a diabetic class. I know for sure she is wrong about the insulin, it is not required unless your levels cant be controlled. I know for sure I am NOT taking that without being diagnosed with GD first. This woman sounded like a loon and I dont feel very comfortable with this practice anymore 

by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GhettoKoolAide
by Nuggy's Cult Mistres on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh dear lawd woman.

Calm your tits take your test or don't. Then track your blood sugar and go from there.
Italiancouture7
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Quoting GhettoKoolAide:

Oh dear lawd woman.

Calm your tits take your test or don't. Then track your blood sugar and go from there.

I am taking my test, I said I scheduled the appt. Im just freaked out by my doctor she sounds questionable.

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I eat a raw food diet.  I also have diabetes type 2.  I don't take insulin and never have.  I control my blood sugar through diet and exercise.  I also don't test 4x a day, although I did when I was learning my parameters.  

Find a new doctor.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I couldnt/can't take the glucose test because I had gastric bypass surgery and the glucose going straight into my system gives false results.  I just had to do the finger prick test for 2 weeks and she went off the results of that. My blood sugar levels were fine.  

GhettoKoolAide
by Nuggy's Cult Mistres on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM
You're freaked out over nothing. It's like you refuse to believe you could have GD. At this point if you can't keep it down then don't even bother and just follow a GD diet.

Quoting Italiancouture7:

Quoting GhettoKoolAide:

Oh dear lawd woman.

I am taking my test, I said I scheduled the appt. Im just freaked out by my doctor she sounds questionable.

DreaM86
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Just take the test and keep it down. Problem solved.

If you don't keep it down, then you ARE going to have to retake the test so why not just get it over with?
Italiancouture7
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Quoting DreaM86:

Just take the test and keep it down. Problem solved.

If you don't keep it down, then you ARE going to have to retake the test so why not just get it over with?

Really?? You sound like my doctor?? I cant control whether or not I throw up. If I had control over that I wouldnt be concerned. 

As far as I know I dont have any jedi mind powers that are capable of controlling my bodies response to the drink.

Jodi136525
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

So you aren't comfortable with the practice, but the bottom line is that they seem to be following a protocol used by most OB practices.   Stop thinking about throwing up during it and just tell yourself you will do it.  It's not like they are putting you in for unnecessary surgery or ordering anything painful or detrimental to yourself or your baby.  They also can't just put you on insulin without confirming GD, whether it is through a test or through finger sticks.  Most women who have GD probably don't need to be placed on insulin.  It may just mean slightly closer diet control and monitoring of the baby's size and development.  I wonder if you are getting anxious about this and misunderstanding what the nurses and doctors are saying.  If anyone tries to place you on insulin without diagnosing GD and having you monitor your sugars, you should feel free to complain to the state medical board because that is actually very dangerous...pregnant or not.

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah you buy a glucometer and strips and check it before meals. If anything, cut back on carbs. DEMAND and A1C instead and tell her that since she works for you, you will NOT be doing the test, you will do the above. Don't let her bully you, and find another provider
Italiancouture7
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM

What are you talking about?? Im not flat out refusing anything. Im concerned about not being able to get through the test. My doctor is the one who is flat out telling me I probably have it already. Like I said I have my appt. Monday and im hoping I can keep it down. I dont get what ur issue is with that?? I cant control it. Im allowed to be nervous..geez

Quoting GhettoKoolAide:

You're freaked out over nothing. It's like you refuse to believe you could have GD. At this point if you can't keep it down then don't even bother and just follow a GD diet.

Quoting Italiancouture7:

Quoting GhettoKoolAide:

Oh dear lawd woman.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured