Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Military wanting discounts....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 68 Replies
2 moms liked this
My husband served, and is now a disabled veteran - due to his service... While he was in, we never asked for discounts either. I mean hell, we alread had free water bill, lights and gas, garbage bill and free medical. ( while living on the base). We were gratefull for that alone. Sure if a business states they give discounts to active duty then great. But It does piss me off when they go into ANY business and ask for it. Im a small business owner myself, and I have a family and a disabled husband ( due to him being in the military) I'm not a franchise nor a huge corp. My prices are already low and very reasonable, so to come to me and ask me for a discount and sometimes even a free-be, that really pisses me off! While I appreciate anyone who serves, I didn't ask you to serve nor did I encourage you to do so. That was YOUR choice. I think it's shitty to go into a small family owned business and ask for a discount. Especially with the way the economy already is.... So you think it's better for me to take from my family's table to give you the chance to save a few dollars? I don't think so. ANd I would rather NOT have them as customers if all they want are discounts and free-bees!
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM
6 moms liked this

All you have to do is politely say no.

Problem solved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I get it.

It's one thing to take advantage of a discount that's already being offered, but to ask for one everywhere you go smacks of entitlement.

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:47 PM
7 moms liked this

Ok.. good for you. I wouldn't want to shop at your store anyway.

not because of no discount, but because you are acting like a quim

IWantOneMorePlz
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Sorry, not everyone had the choice to enlist.  My dad and 3 of my uncles were drafted.  They had NO choice.  My parents never asked for discounts, either.  They get senior citizen discounts.

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM

and for the record.. we never ask for the discounts. Most of the time, they just automatically add it on. If not, no big deal

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Quoting lwalker270:

Problem solved.

You would think that. But each time I smile and politely say 'sorry I can't offer a discount because my prices are already so low".... it doesn't stop there, then they move on to, well I'm in the service or sometimes I even get my boyfriend is active duty etc... Or, then they will say well can you throw something extra in then? Saying no, really doesn't work. Last week I ended up telling the military customer to go to another business and see how much of a discount and or free stuff they get there. Becuase I have a family to feed and I can't keep giving shit away at wholesale price or free.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM

My SIL just married a man in the military that got half of a leg blown off in an explosion. His mom is so obnoxious about trying to get things for free. She will say things like "show them your leg so we'll get a discount" "wear shorts so people can see you leg" etc. She actually got a BBQ place to cater their rehersal dinner for free because of it! 

I was recently getting my oil changed and a women walked in and asked for a military discount. The guy told her that their prices were already very low and they were running several specials right now and she could take advantage of one of those. She didn't seemed to pleased, but she went ahead and made an appt. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM
That's just like senior citizens discounts... my dad asks everywhere he goes!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Quoting Sekirei:

and for the record.. we never ask for the discounts. Most of the time, they just automatically add it on. If not, no big deal

Maybe you dont personally. but here in my small business, they do and they do it all day daily. If I was a huge corp with tons of money, I'd have no issue doing so. but to come to me knowing this is a mom and pop shop, pisses me off! Sure go to the ones who post it on their door saying active duty discounts,but to walk into my shop, also knowing my husband is a disable veteran, lacks alot of morals and humanity.... I turn them away, i cant afford to give discounts or free'bees. if you NEED that , then perhaps you should stop spending so damn much money!
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lwalker270:

Problem solved.

You would think that. But each time I smile and politely say 'sorry I can't offer a discount because my prices are already so low".... it doesn't stop there, then they move on to, well I'm in the service or sometimes I even get my boyfriend is active duty etc... Or, then they will say well can you throw something extra in then? Saying no, really doesn't work. Last week I ended up telling the military customer to go to another business and see how much of a discount and or free stuff they get there. Becuase I have a family to feed and I can't keep giving shit away at wholesale price or free.

Interesting.  I wonder why they push the issue so much?

I've never argued with anyone who doesn't offer a discount, nor have any of my military friends I've been with.  We simply move on with the transaction.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)