Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The "R" word......

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 168 Replies
I have never in my life seen anyone insulted so badly by that word until coming to Cafemom. Even when not used correctly.

So my questions.....are you insulted by the "R" word? Even when used incorrectly? Is there a reason? Do you also get angry when people say something is gay or uses any other word out of its original meaning??
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM
2 moms liked this

retarded is a word with a real meaning. I'll use it in it's correct context if I have to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM
No, I don't get insulted, but it is a real word whether they like it or not.
meaganmac
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't like when people use the word in a derogatory manner, but I'm also not self absorbed enough to think that just because I feel a certain way everyone else should too.

That being said, it is a word that has a proper meaning and when used in the correct context, there's no reason for people to get their panties in a bunch over it.
DolphinFan85
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

its an inappropriate word and should never be used...too many people misuse the word and use the word incorrectly...i have two mentally and physically handicapped people in my family and YES i find the word very offensive and will call people out on it

team_porculoon
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM
This. Exactly this. I also don't over react and become a condescending mean girl because of it either.

Quoting meaganmac:

I don't like when people use the word in a derogatory manner, but I'm also not self absorbed enough to think that just because I feel a certain way everyone else should too.

That being said, it is a word that has a proper meaning and when used in the correct context, there's no reason for people to get their panties in a bunch over it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM
How do you feel when people say "that's gay" or swear. Most swears are also words that are used out of context.

Quoting DolphinFan85:

its an inappropriate word and should never be used...too many people misuse the word and use the word incorrectly...i have two mentally and physically handicapped people in my family and YES i find the word very offensive and will call people out on it

LvngMmyCampbell
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes, it's annoying. I think sometime back in the 80's people starting using "retard" as a word to mean "stupid/ignorant" and started using "gay" to mean "stupid"

Well, it's just poor english on their part. Retard or retarded does not mean stupid and neither does gay. We live in a world where there actually are people who are retarded or gay. How would you feel if people starting using the word "woman" to mean "whore"??   Oh man, you're such a woman, all you do is sleep around. See, why can't we just use the right words for what we are trying to communicate? 

I will say though that when the word is used appropriately, I don't think CM'ers get upset. If I were to say, my child goes to school with a person who is retarded, would you then assume I mean he is stupid? Maybe, because that's how the word has been commonly used when I actually meant he is retarded. 

nelliesmommy
by prettyandpierced on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I'm not.

3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I dislike the word "gay" being used in a derogatory way and have called people out on it. And I prefer "mentally handicapped" in place of "retarded"

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM
9 moms liked this

Nope, my generation had thicker skin 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured