Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DS has found my kryptonite! I am in trouble.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I am usually really good at not falling for the cute toddler looks when they are bad or want something. Unfortunately DS has found that one thing that makes me crumble. He 22 months and learned to say please (which comes out as peas). When he says it all cute and gives me those puss in boots eyes I turn into mush and give in. I can't help it.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2013 at 2:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM
9 moms liked this
Quoting MomTo3NMW:

Nope, I don't give in to my kids. I'm the parent.. 

Lol, I am the parent too. There is a term in psychology called positive reinforcement. When he uses manners in a situation he is learning that he will get more out of life. We are talking about getting a couple extra cranberries at snack time, one more hug, or reading the same book 10 times. It's not like I am letting him run the streets and watch violent movies. There is no need to be militant to be a good parent.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Quoting TexTornado:

My cat gives me the puss n boots eyes & melt, so I can imagine.  LOL

My old dog used to do that to me but worse because she was a stray who was starving to death when I found her. I spoiled that dog rotten.
CJM_SHM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM

My daughter signs more and says "open", but also knows that the sign means more. She can say "more" also. It's weird. I'm not sure what made her put those two together, but its cute as can be :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I am doing baby signTake sad eyes, please and a pouty lip add them all together and you have one weak momma

We have been doing signing too. It's funny because while he says more while signing eat. He knows the correct ones for eat and more if I ask him to do it. He is also capable of saying both. At first I thought it was his way of asking for food but have since realized he does it whenever he wants anything. Sometimes his actions just baffle me.

aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Nope.if I said no it means NO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Quoting B1Bomber:

DS is also 22 months and at the stage where he thinks that as long as he says please, he can have anything. It's not always easy to say no because he doesn't understand what he did wrong (nothing, but he can't have a muffin ten minutes before dinnertime).

I have been pretty lucky with DS. When I do have to say no he just moves on when we are at my house. He tried the tantrum thing twice and I keep a book handy. I would just read it while he did so. Eventually he would realize he wasn't going to get anything that way and would grab his book and sit next to me "reading."
AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Puppy eyes and please only work for a short while. If my son wants his way he has to barter or bargain. Not that he isn't adorable but by age 7 it takes more. I figure this isn't a bad set up for life, if he has a wife or room mate learning to make concessions to get his way might be the most effective method for adults. And also teaching him to accept that something's can't change. His BFF got a jr dragster for her 8th bday, like a real kids sized race car(UNSAFE!!!!) that she will race next summer(drag racing like her father and gpa) And no amount of bartering will ever make me say yes to that gift, He said if we win the lottery could I have one, and even in that case, no way Jose.
BamaMomto4
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM
When my did was little her " uh oh mommy/daddy is mad I better do something " way of trying to get out of trouble was the eyes and a hug accompanied by " wuv ooo" it worked better with daddy but I did have to struggle to keep my "mean" mommy face on. They do not take you seriously when they see you trying not to smile or outright laugh at their cuteness.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Hope you don't give them food when they ask! You don't wanna be seen giving in to them!

Quoting MomTo3NMW:

MomTo3NMW
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this

of course not... i never feed my kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hope you don't give them food when they ask! You don't wanna be seen giving in to them!

Quoting MomTo3NMW:

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

britmichele
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM
My son just started saying I love u again. It turns me to mush!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)