Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

are you too good to for yard sales? *pics on pgs 5 & 6* EDIT IN BLUE

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM
  • 331 Replies
4 moms liked this

I'll admit, I used to be a yard sale snob. I thought that only poor people shopped at yard sales and all people sold at a yard sale was junk. Then SO tells me she's not opposed to hitting up yard sales from time to time because you can actually find some really nice things for a steal. This morning SO is heading to work and she texts me to tell me that our neighbors across the street are having a yard sale and since they have 2 little boys she's gonna head over to see if they have any nice kids clothes for our nephews. A few minutes later she tells me they have the boxed set of the Hunger Games Trilogy for $10! I told her to get it since I know that's a good deal! I decided to get the boys dressed and head over myself. The Hunger Games Trilogy is actually still new and they're hard cover, not soft. Needless to say, that's a steal!!! I also picked up a really cute Coach purse for only $4! So in all we spent $50 over there, and in addition to the Hunger Games books, we got 4 out of the 6 Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, 2 other small chapter books, 5 pair of pajamas, 2 little dump trucks, my Coach purse, another small purse for my dd (11), and a Little People's parking garage tower thing. I'll post pics in the comments of the things I bought! 

So, would you shop a yard sale? Or do you have to have everything brand new? 

EDIT:

ok, so I just realized that I sounded like a major snotty bitch and that isn't me at all! I grew up practically dirt poor, and have spent the majority of my adult life barely one step above. it has only been the past 2 years that I've been better off and I'm still getting used to the concept of "having money." I do not judge people by their socioeconomic status. and altho I came across that way, I don't judge people who shop yard sales, thrift or consignment shops, craigslist, or ebay. I buy alot of stuff from consignment shops and craigslist. so, I'm not opposed to buying used. I never went yard saling as a kid, my mom was actually a yard sale snob. "only trashy people shop at yard sales." her words, not mine I swear!!! I was in my early 20's before I ever went yard saling, and the only stuff I ever saw was junk. literally. toys that had food and animal stains. clothes that were heavily stained (or from 1970 lol). so, that is the why I said it seemed like all people sold was junk. so, if I came across as I think I'm better than people who buy used or shop at yard sales, I truly apologize. that was not my intent. 

by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cupcake_mom
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM
3 moms liked this
1st lol

I LOVE yard sales and craigslist! I got a FREE lazy boy sectional couch (not exactly what we wanted)from craigslist. And a 60" flat screen for only $200, it broke after a year or so. Then we found this awesome couch, also a lazy boy with a chase (which is what we were looking for) for $100, sold the other couch for $130 and bought the "new" one and a new 54" tv $50 so technically we spent $20 on a nice lazy sectional with a chase and a 54" tv!
team_porculoon
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Nope - it depends on the area around me.  Where I live, it's not so great, but in the more affluent neighborhoods, they can be pretty decent.

Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I would if I had the time and patience to sit and sift through all the crap.

Anonandon
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I wouldn't buy clothes or bedding at one, but I've bought other things, books, toys, etc. 

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Yeah I love yard sales.  I can get stuff like new for cheap.  There are certain things I won't buy there, but I do love looking at them.

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Depends. I usually hunt for little things like matchbox cars and Legos, and occasionally gently worn clothing for my oldest son.

I don't find much usually for the time I spend driving around.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Nope, yard sales can be great sometimes. We bought my son a Peg Perego train with tracks for $40 at one a few years ago. They retail for two hundred sometimes, and that thing works great, ds loves it. He still rides it sometimes, but he is getting a bit big for it.

TexTornado
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM
3 moms liked this

Ive shopped at many yard sales but how did you end up spending $50?  They saw you coming!  LOL. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM
We buy A LOT at yard sales!! Love it. Got a bouncy springy horse for the kids and a lot of their clothes. My girlfriend and I go about every other weekend. I love when I can find my size clothes bc I HATE new clothes. I only buy brand new socks and boxers.
Idgiegirl
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM
6 moms liked this
I'm not too good for yard sales...or thrift stores for that matter. I can find all kinds of designer clothes in excellent condition at thrift stores and sometimes yard sales. I'm too good to spend 60 bucks for a shirt and 110 bucks for jeans.

Quoting temage:

I'll admit, I used to be a yard sale snob. I thought that only poor people shopped at yard sales and all people sold at a yard sale was junk. Then SO tells me she's not opposed to hitting up yard sales from time to time because you can actually find some really nice things for a steal. This morning SO is heading to work and she texts me to tell me that our neighbors across the street are having a yard sale and since they have 2 little boys she's gonna head over to see if they have any nice kids clothes for our nephews. A few minutes later she tells me they have the boxed set of the Hunger Games Trilogy for $10! I told her to get it since I know that's a good deal! I decided to get the boys dressed and head over myself. The Hunger Games Trilogy is actually still new and they're hard cover, not soft. Needless to say, that's a steal!!! I also picked up a really cute Coach purse for only $4! So in all we spent $50 over there, and in addition to the Hunger Games books, we got 4 out of the 6 Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, 2 other small chapter books, 5 pair of pajamas, 2 little dump trucks, my Coach purse, another small purse for my dd (11), and a Little People's parking garage tower thing. I'll post pics in the comments of the things I bought! 

So, would you shop a yard sale? Or do you have everything brand new? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)