Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't believe in tipping * edited*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

It is not my job to pay your wages when we are already paying the establishment for the food and service.   I think it is up to the employers to pay your wage, I just don't understand why people will work there for a pittance and then expect the public they are serving to prop them up, it's nothing but entitlement, you do your job and your company should pay you.

In England and Australia where I have worked as a waitress they pay us a proper wage so we can survive, I have never expected tips although it was a pleasant surprise when we got them.  

In America it's like you are volunteering to be a waitress for the company and then expect tips for this volunteering.  

What I don't understand is that if you have a minimum wage why do restaurants get away with not paying that? 

ETA: Well thank you to the people you did answer my question without the insults. To the people who assumed I didn't tip, well I do if the service is good, I don't believe tipping should be expected but if I receive outstanding service then I am happy too, it's the expectation of the tip....even if you do a shitty job and I know you are all claiming that you have been waitresses and you were awesome but guess what not everyone is and even if they usually are they could be having a bad day and no matter what you think you do, you can take it out on clients but then still expect a tip. I am not selfish or trashy and can afford to go out to eat.

Also I HAVE waitressed and I know how hard it is. 

Finally for those who tell me to "go back to my own country if I don't like it", all I can say is that is such a typical response by arrogant Americans who never seem to follow their own advice in other people's countries. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Replies (31-40):
angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM
2 moms liked this

yes but (i might be wrong here because i've never been a waitress) I think they have to claim a certain percentage as tips for tax purposes so if they don't at least make that much then by stiffing them on a tip you are actually costing them money.

Quoting stacyemmy:

The place you work is supposed to pay the difference to minimum wage if you don't make enough tips. So honestly no one has to tip and they stilll get paid minimum wage. People act like "oh you have to tip that's how they make their living" no you don't have to tip because their employer legally has to make up the difference if they don't make enough tips. 

That being said..unless you REALLY piss me off I'll tip you and I'll generally tip you well..

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM
2 moms liked this

My understanding is, that dining out is more expensive in Europe and places where tipping isn't customary so that they may pay their servers a living wage.

The fact is, if you dine in a restaurant in an area where tipping is the norm and refuse out of principle, knowing your server is only working for 2.13 an hour, then you should probably find somewhere to eat that doesn't require tipping.  There are a number of establishments that do so.

Otherwise, it just kind of makes you look like a jerk.

butterflymomss
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM
America has a different min wage set for servers as opposed to other hourly employees. I think that they should be paid the same amount but that's not what the government decided and we have to live with that. Most servers do not feel entitled and its not their fault so why are you blaming them?
bcauseimthemom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

If servers wages are raised to minimum wage then expect prices in the dining establishments to be raised.

mmprincess
by Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope you only go to an establishment once or twice where tipping is the norm.  Other wise (coming from someone who was in the industry for 20 plus years and may return someday even though I have a very a degree now) we will remember you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Wow....what nonsense...If I'm not mistaken, tipping and paying less per hour was a way to encourage employees to do the absolute best job possible......w/o tipping, I don;t care if you run out of beverage and sit steaming for a bit......With tipping and I'm at the table before you drain the glass to refill it.   It was incentive, not right and if you were in this country I can promise you no one would want your table more than once.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Well, if you're trashy, you're trashy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM

You know if I knew the tip was going to the waitress who was doing the work then I probably would not mind as much and the I don't think they should have to pay tax on the totals sales so they end up losing money that's ridiculous! 

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree and I live in America. Plus, they usually have to split their tips. Here you have one busting her ass while another is doing a horrible job. Is that fair?

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Wow I hope you aren't a regular of any restaurant. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I can afford to tip just fine, but I choose not to. I eat out anyway because it doesn't bother me I'm one of those people who don't tip.

Quoting Anonymous:

I rarely eat out because i know if i can't tip than i shouldnt be eating out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not really. When I eat out I rarely tip

Quoting Anonymous:

Either plan on tipping or don't plan on eating out. it's as simple as that

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM

This is true -- or at least it was when I was a server many moons ago.  

Quoting angelachristine:

yes but (i might be wrong here because i've never been a waitress) I think they have to claim a certain percentage as tips for tax purposes so if they don't at least make that much then by stiffing them on a tip you are actually costing them money.

Quoting stacyemmy:

The place you work is supposed to pay the difference to minimum wage if you don't make enough tips. So honestly no one has to tip and they stilll get paid minimum wage. People act like "oh you have to tip that's how they make their living" no you don't have to tip because their employer legally has to make up the difference if they don't make enough tips. 

That being said..unless you REALLY piss me off I'll tip you and I'll generally tip you well..

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)