Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime...

Posted by   + Show Post
I've tried a free trial if Netflix, Hulu, and Redbox Instant. I'm getting ready to try Amazon Prime soon.

They don't have any movies (the first 3) that I like! Where are the movies?! They seem to be mostly horror (which I don't watch) or unknown movies. I was thinking these would have a better selection, but I guess I was wrong. :(

I was hoping my kids could watch Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, Pixar/Disney movies, Care Bears the Movie, or ANYTHING!

I wanted I watch a few movies (Idiocracy, Will Ferrel movies, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, etc...). I found LOTS of food documentaries I could watch, but no movies. I wanted to catch up on Doctor Who (season 7 of Matt Smith).

Sigh... I guess my hopes were set too high.

Anyone know where I can get a good selection of online streaming for a good price? I can't do Redbox or Blockbuster (from the kiosk).

Editing to add

People keep saying everything I listed is on Netflix. It's not. SOME are, but not many.

For my kids... Im looking for stuff like Ghostbusters (the movie), Jurassic Park (first one), Disney/Pixar movies (was looking for movies like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Aladdin, Beauty & The Beast, Little Mermaid, etc...).

I like movies like Mel Brooks, Monty Python, Will Ferrel movies, Idiocracy, Christian Bale movies, Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, LOTR. --I did get to watch The Avengers and Thor. --

Tv shows like Chappelle's Show, Doctor Who, Ramsay's different shows, the logger shows, etc... There are a few on the sites, but if the others are there, I can't find them through the search.

by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Replies (81-90):
MinglingMom
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Chances are that the "free trial" limited what movies you could see. I say that because I know that some of the movies you listed are on our que list. As for Dr. Who... you'll have to wait a little longer. If it's not on DVD, you typically won't find it on Netflix or Redbox. SOME you will find on Hulu but it depends on the network. Hulu and Amazon is the only streaming we have found to have the most recent stuff... iTunes has some but more and more networks are leaving them lately.

autodidact
by Snarknado on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM

maybe it's just Hulu plus, but they have the criterion film collection there. some are older and foreign, but they are all critically acclaimed movies., and there are tons of them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Netflix has quite a few kids movies,  in fact they have a whole kids section.  Hulu did suck on movies.  Amazon is no better than the others though,  they do have new release but you have to pay extra for them so it isn't cheap to see the new movies or shows.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Yours was no more helpful.  No Pixar, no Jurassic Park, no Ghostbusters.  Aside from Doctor Who and Care Bears, which I don't watch so I'm not sure, none of those things are on Netflix.  Considering she only named a few specific things, which you broadly proclaimed to ALL be on Netflix, I figured 'untrue' would be enough of a rebuttal for us to all follow.  I'll be more specific next time.  Accept my apologies.

Quoting baileyquarters:

Your reply is so full of information. You have added so much to the conversation. You could mention which ones are or or not. I don't understand why someone goes through the effort of replying to a post and then says one word.

Quoting Anonymous:

Untrue. 

Quoting baileyquarters:

Everything you mentioned is on Netflix.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:32 PM
That seems kind of stupid for them to do. If someone is trying it out, and sees only a bunch of stuff they would never watch, and almost nothing of what they would want to watch, who would want to get that?

I just hate to buy another month, and end up with the same stuff, but maybe I'll give it a try.

Quoting MinglingMom:

Chances are that the "free trial" limited what movies you could see. I say that because I know that some of the movies you listed are on our que list. As for Dr. Who... you'll have to wait a little longer. If it's not on DVD, you typically won't find it on Netflix or Redbox. SOME you will find on Hulu but it depends on the network. Hulu and Amazon is the only streaming we have found to have the most recent stuff... iTunes has some but more and more networks are leaving them lately.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Well, this may not be a popular answer, but  someone showed me this website that streams movies/shows for free. It's tubeplus.com.

CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Hercules 

Mulan 

ParaNorman 

Rango 

Aristocats

Pocahontas

Alice in wonderland (the cartoon one)

Brother Bear 2

Mirror Mirror

Antz

Atlantis

Fox and the hound

101 dalmatians (live action)

James and the giant peach

Stuart Little 2

Treasure Island

The Tigger Movie

The rescuers

Tarzan and Jane

The adventures of TinTin

The  great mouse detective

An extremely goofy movie

The Care Bears Movie

Those are just a few of the many movies they have (lots of Disney)

Granted, they don't have My big fat greek wedding on stream.. but they do have others that are similiar (and just as funny.. ) 

Will Ferrell movies include : Everything Must Go and Casa de mi Padre, A Night at the Roxbury, Superstar, The Producers, Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie

If you are looking on netflix on a console (xbox, wii, ps3) try looking on the computer.. you can find things easier.. then just add them to your instant queue. 

ugh.. I can't make those Non-links.. sorry about that!! 

Quoting kcangel63:

Why weren't those movies there when I searched for them?

Not arguing with you, but those movies were not there.

People keep saying the movies I listed are there, but I looked. My kids looked. They didn't pull up (other than a few Disney movies - Tinkerbell, The Rescuers, and a few others).

I'm just flustered. It's like when the Internet first started, and I went to search for 1969 Corvette, and got NO hits. That's how I feel when I want to watch a movie, and instead get nothing interesting to me. -.-

Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

All the things you listed are on Netflix. :)  I don't know about Hulu because we don't have it. 

We have prime, but that's mostly for the discounts and free 2 day shipping.. LOL! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM
free trials don't exclude what you can watch. I've tried redbox, hulu, and netflix. (still have netflix, and hulu) and nothing changed.
Quoting kcangel63:

That seems kind of stupid for them to do. If someone is trying it out, and sees only a bunch of stuff they would never watch, and almost nothing of what they would want to watch, who would want to get that?

I just hate to buy another month, and end up with the same stuff, but maybe I'll give it a try.

Quoting MinglingMom:

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Do you have Netflix? Do you know if the free trial has different movies than the paid subscription?

I wouldn't think so, since people keep talking about how there is Tinkerbell (which is great for my 3 yr old dd and 2 yr old ds, but not my 5 & 6 yr old boys, and my 9, 11, and 15 yr old girls. ). The only things they liked was watching all the DW episodes over again. However, it is possible the free trial just sucks. I guess. Not a very good way to show off your services though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yours was no more helpful.  No Pixar, no Jurassic Park, no Ghostbusters.  Aside from Doctor Who and Care Bears, which I don't watch so I'm not sure, none of those things are on Netflix.  Considering she only named a few specific things, which you broadly proclaimed to ALL be on Netflix, I figured 'untrue' would be enough of a rebuttal for us to all follow.  I'll be more specific next time.  Accept my apologies.

Quoting baileyquarters:

Your reply is so full of information. You have added so much to the conversation. You could mention which ones are or or not. I don't understand why someone goes through the effort of replying to a post and then says one word.

Quoting Anonymous:

Untrue. 

Quoting baileyquarters:

Everything you mentioned is on Netflix.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM
That's what I was thinking. In which I wouldn't get them again, unless they got a better selection. I know they lost a lot if their movies when they lost a contract with one of the big companies.

Quoting Anonymous:

free trials don't exclude what you can watch. I've tried redbox, hulu, and netflix. (still have netflix, and hulu) and nothing changed.

Quoting kcangel63:

Quoting MinglingMom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Right, I've been thinking about cancelling my Netflix. I have found other places to watch movies anyway. But I do like Hulu for the tv shows. I never rememeber what time somethings coming on and it's easier for me to look through and see what episodes I missed on there.

Quoting kcangel63:

That's what I was thinking. In which I wouldn't get them again, unless they got a better selection. I know they lost a lot if their movies when they lost a contract with one of the big companies.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kcangel63:

Quoting MinglingMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN