Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ADHD. Really? *Edited*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 120 Replies

Is there any parent out there that has a child with ADD or ADHD that has actually been about to teach them to behave? I ask, not because my kids have it, but because I know many parents whos children have it, but it just seems like any time they act up their reason is because they have ADD or ADHD. I do understand that it can make it more difficult to handle them or get them to understand things, but the parents just go into damage control. Picking up what they knock over, making sure another child is O.K. after the one with ADD pushed them down or things like that.

Like last week, I was somewhere and a boy was acting up real bad, he was swinging his little brother around, kicking his mother and pulling her hair and the whole time he was laughing. Even when she had him restrained he just kept hitting and kicking and laughing. I made a comment about toddlers growing out of it, nothing to be rude, just trying to give her some support. She told me he wasn't a toddler, he was older but he had ADHD. I don't know what to say to that. I would like to offer support but since mine don't have ADHD I'm at a loss, but I don't think that just doing damage control, letting them act how they act and just blaming it on ADHD is all that there is to do, there has to be some way to teach them to behave other than just giving them medicine.

Don't look at me as someone that doesn't know what it's like and that I'm being judgmental. I babysat a boy with ADHD for a long while, but I treated him, punished him and taught him like I do  my own and eventually things got better. He got to the point of being helpful and a pleasure to be around. I just am asking because I would like to offer support and suggestions that may actually help parents that are going thru a hard time with their child who has ADHD.

*Edit* Wow, thank you guys for the many comments and sharing your own experiences. Sorry I wasn't able to reply to all of your responses. From what I gather from the majority is that when you still expect a child with ADD/ADHD to be well behaved and not use it as an excuse, although it can still be difficult on many days, the child will step up to the plate and try to reach your expectations. Thank you again for your responses.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't believe ADHD is real.
LectioDivina
by on Aug. 11, 2013 at 5:46 PM
3 moms liked this

ADHD is so real you can do you own tests at home and find out in an hour.

art.diva
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM
3 moms liked this

There was a kid with ADHD in my daughter's class year, and I felt sorry for his parents.  A lot of people think these kids are simply misbehaving, but that's not the case.

Islandmom2boys
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
They say my nephew has ADHD but I think he needs some good discipline and he will be fine.
art.diva
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM

How many kids and/or adults do you personally know who have been diagnosed?

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

I don't believe ADHD is real.

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Aug. 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM

My child was just diagnosed with ADHD and I always hear about how well behaved he is.

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM
I was considered add, but was always very well behaved. Even before diagnosis.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I'm very curious about this test, is it online?
Quoting LectioDivina:

ADHD is so real you can do you own tests at home and find out in an hour.

ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 5:52 PM
4 moms liked this
My youngest has severe combined type ADHD and a sensory disorder. He's definitely more difficult to teach and discipline but he would never act like the boys you talked about in the op lol. He's much better now that he's on meds, but the meds really only slow him down to a hyper kid instead of an out of control kid.

His sensory disorder is a whole different kind of issue. He used to cry and cry in crowds, restaurants and birthday parties but after a lot of work by me he's much better. He still has moments where he will cry and we have to leave, and at birthday parties he still sits on my lap most of the time but at least I've gotten him to the point that he's not bothering anyone else and his brother can enjoy things that he wasn't able to before.

I never let him use his ADHD as an excuse. He has tried saying a few times that he was being naughty or something because he hadn't had his meds but I nipped that in the bud quick and explained that he is in control of his body and he has to make an effort to control himself even without his meds.

I don't like to see parents using any Dx as an excuse for their children's bad behavior. They are certainly harder to teach but they aren't stupid or a lost cause. Its just a lot more work.
trying2survive
by on Aug. 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM
ADHD just means that their brains take a little longer to process information and in a different way than the average person. They can without a doubt be taught to behave like every other child it just takes more work and a ton of patience. I've had some really rough times with my 13yo but he expected to follow the same rules, and behavior expectations as his siblings.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)