Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Psychopathic 6 yr old...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
Since he was 2 yrs old my SIL's oldest ds has exhibited several disturbing behaviors that dr's have not been able to correctly diagnose or control with meds. His moods switch erreatically & frequently, from happy to uncontrollable anger in seconds. He has no empathy or compassion for anyone & often causes physical pain in his family members just bc he wants to. Physical discipline or threats do not phase him or change his behavior, this causes him to react more violently. He understands right from wrong & negative vs. positive consequences but does not care & will still do bad things or hurt people. His parents have taken him to therapists to try & figure out his problems but so far no meds have worked. He's been diagnosed as ADD/ADHD for the erratic behavior but he can sit & concentrate for long periods of time & it does nothing to help his attitude & lack of caring. He's extremely bright & creative as well, which often leads him to doing things that are very dangerous, he's grabbed kitchen knives & threatened to kill his parents or siblings. My SIL is at her wit's end & has no idea what other avenues to explore to help her ds. Has anyone experienced anything like this or have anything I can suggest to her?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Oppositional defiance disorder
shamillionaire
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Schizophrenic?
zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Was just going to say this. I worked in a center for children with behavioral disorders who were bad enough that they lived there. This sounded very similiar to the ODD kids I worked with.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
He's seriously getting to the point where my sil is thinking of putting him in a home, he's not allowed to attend public school bc he hurts the other students & constantly defies the teachers & cusses them out. If he gets mad enough he'll walk right out the doors & the police have been called to find him several times for leaving the school. My sil can't work bc its too dangerous to leave him in the care of anybody else who can't physically restrain him if he's determjned to hurt her or someone in the family.

Quoting zomgkerrie:

Was just going to say this. I worked in a center for children with behavioral disorders who were bad enough that they lived there. This sounded very similiar to the ODD kids I worked with.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I would suggest getting in touch with DHHS or the Public Schools. In nebraska, they have an excellent program called Family Youth Investment-which is provided to families at no cost. They send you a 'social worker' to help you and they will guide you towards services that will fit your needs. They have day programs here for children that have anger/violence issues. And can also guide the parents towards that next step of a live-in center if needed. Receiving the service and admitting you need help does NOT put you at risk for losing your kids. They are not cps. I receive their services for my autistic son. Maybe see if there is a similar service in her area?

Quoting Anonymous:

He's seriously getting to the point where my sil is thinking of putting him in a home, he's not allowed to attend public school bc he hurts the other students & constantly defies the teachers & cusses them out. If he gets mad enough he'll walk right out the doors & the police have been called to find him several times for leaving the school. My sil can't work bc its too dangerous to leave him in the care of anybody else who can't physically restrain him if he's determjned to hurt her or someone in the family.

Quoting zomgkerrie:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

sounds like an institution is needed so no one gets hurt

LilliesValley
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Keep going to different docs until you get a diagnosis that makes sense and fits. But sociopaths are kids once too.

deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM
My kids have odd and so do my nephews they are NOTHING like this not even a tiny bit.

Quoting zomgkerrie:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM

God I couldn't even imagine.. Good luck to her, I have no wisdom to pass on. Although I was diagnosed with ODD when I was 11. My mom has me hospitalized a few times.

KenneMaw
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM

How old is he?  It may take finding other doctors or going to a place that specializes in personality/mood/brain disorders.   We know a family who's stepdaughter was diagnosed as sociopathetic (can't empathize with peopel) and a habitual liar.  Unfortunately, there isn't any meds that can help.  The girl is now in her mid-20s and a mother, but it is a struggle every day. She ran off with one of her boyfriends, so her DH filed for divorce and has custody of their child.  It is a very hard situation. She wasn't able to be diagnozed until she was in her teens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)