Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should Women Legally Be Allowed To Decline All Prenatal Testing?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM
  • 108 Replies

Poll

Question: Should women be allowed to decline any/all prenatal testing?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 174

View Results

For 5 of my 8 pregnancies, I did not have any bloodwork, ultrasounds, vaginal exams, and only one of those 5 I did the GBS test. I felt confident in my choices, and knew the risks with both doing the tests, and declining them. Should women (in your opinion) have the legal right to make that choice, or should they not have a choice in the matter of prenatal testing.
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Sure, it's on them if anything bad happens because of it
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this
No once the pregancy is so far it should be consisered child care n if they dont take care of themselves or the pregnancy it should be child nelect
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM

This is tough for me to answer.

On one hand, we should be free to decide what, if any, medical procedures and testing we want done. 

On the other, you are possibly risking the life of your baby. I hate to think of all of these defenseless babies being neglected or living a poor quality of life because of their parent's bad decisions. 

dockyswifey
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I declided some of the tests. But others I did want. Like blood work and the ultra sound. 

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I do have blood tests because I carry antibodies to dh blood type and that is potentially a problem. I have to get tested once every 2 weeks. I don't do any of the other tests aside from gestational diabetes.

I do think women should legally be allowed to decline testing.
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Aug. 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Ok. Going with this. Should women then have no say as to how they give birth? If a doctor feels a cesarean, or a natural (drug free) birth is safer for the baby (depending on the doctor/circumstances), should the mother have no say in the matter? What about location? Since the AMA is very anti home birth, should it be illegal and punishable with jail and removal of the child if a mother has a home birth? It's a very slippery slope, controlling women's choices.
Quoting Anonymous:

No once the pregancy is so far it should be consisered child care n if they dont take care of themselves or the pregnancy it should be child nelect
Nee86
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Sure. Why not? The only test I have not been able to decline is GSB. If I could, I would decline it. Oh and blood typing test because my blood type is Rh-.
EddiesMama83
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I guess if they can't afford it but why would they decline prenatal testing? Don't they want to know what's going on?

amber710
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes. She should have that right. How does it make sense for it to be legal for a woman to kill her baby (unnatural), but not legal for her to decline unneccesary testing on it (natural). I declined many tests with my pregnancies. I was extremely low risk and didn't see a need to come into an office and go through more "care" than I needed as much as some women do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM
3 moms liked this

YES!!! You should always have the choice. You start taking choices away and we are going to be 100% screwed.

And curious how many of the "you should have to test" are pro choice. How can 1 care about the baby in one instance and not the other?!?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)