Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I drug my child to make him sleep~~ETA

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Ok, I SO dont understand when, why or how it became acceptable to give your child Benadryl on a regular basis so YOU can go to sleep sooner.

My son has ADHD and used to have serious meltdowns. I called the health line one night and was told to give my son Benadryl to get him to sleep for the night so I could reach the doc in the a.m. I asked if the person was telling me to drug my child because they couldnt/wouldnt reach his therapist. He replied, yes...its ok. I refused.

Im just baffled by this. Do people not realize how dangerous this can be. If your baby/child isnt sleeping, the answer most certainly isnt giving them meds to FORCE them to sleep. Then people wonder why their children are involved in drugs at 12. You started the ball rolling by inducing sleep with what would seem to be a harmless medicine when they were toddlers.

ETA::: this is just one of MANY stories I found when I Google 'child deaths involving Benadryl'.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/infants-death-shines-light-on-practice-of-medicating-kids-to-sleep/1191735

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
bbluvsme
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

It says on the benadryl package not to give to kids to make them go to sleep.

Mommy2NICNAC
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Not sleeping is worse. Benedryl won't hurt. But melatonin is best.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Yes, it is that.

Quoting lovemymini:

Completely agree, not having little hell monsters running around is just a plus lol.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

It's not just that.  Sleep is when important stuff is done.  The body repairs itself.  This is when he grows.  Sleeping supports a healthy immune system.

Quoting lovemymini:

Kind of agree with this.. Kids need sleep or they turn into crazy little hell monsters:)

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I personally feel that NOT sleeping is far more harmful than taking benadryl.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Benadryl is often used for anxiety and insomnia in adults and children. It is safe and effective. My dd uses it occasionally for anxiety attacks

BEXi
by BEXi on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Doesnt benadryl give the opposite affect to people with ADD/ADHD?

Ive only used melatonin less than a handful of times. Once was when we moved and their sleep schedule was seriously flawed.

ica171
by Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I wouldn't give benadryl on a regular basis, although I have given my daughter ibuprofen to help her sleep when she was teething. We give both of our older kids melatonin during the school year on school days. One has autism, which is known to have related sleep issues, and one will get up twenty times until 11 PM with the stereotypical "I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, I can't sleep" complaints. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM

SHITTY parenting.

daughteroftruth
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Benadryl... the real gateway drug

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Which is why sleep training is important.  If the lack of sleep is because of a medical issue then seek a medical professionals advice.  I had crazy insomnia as a kid and would be up for days on end, my parents and doctors had no choice but to give me something so I could get some sleep.

I still struggle with insomnia now, which makes staying up with a sick child or nursing baby easier lol.  Plus I have CM to keep me entertained.

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL. I think if the child is consistently not sleeping, something else is up. Im talking about parents who give it their kids with no real purpose and/or so the PARENTS can get a break or go to bed sooner.

Quoting lovemymini:

Kind of agree with this.. Kids need sleep or they turn into crazy little hell monsters:)

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I personally feel that NOT sleeping is far more harmful than taking benadryl.

Mammacra
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM

We have a cloud b pillow with a pouch of lavender inside my kids don't have an issue when my son was really crazy I tried sleepy time tea.  Usually if my kids r not going to sleep and they can tell I'm stressed it keeps them up!  Put you kid in a safe place even if you strap them in a high chair go relax shower whatever then go back get them with a smile on your face dim the lights read a story if you don't have a story make one up!  Make up a magical story about how you met thier daddy even if he's a useless sob at onetime you enjoyed his hard dick!  So tell them about how your heart skipped a beat (leave out x rated details) snuggle them or cuddle them rub thier backs make them relaxed and to feel secure!  It's not hard yes I have had moments where I'm sleep deprived exhausted trying to care for 3 young kids 5 & under while running a house hold nursing exclusively & maintaining my sanity!  Even if your worlds falling down around you smile & make your child feel secure play a silly game of hide & seek with thier blankie!  Good luck!  No drugs you don't need drugs for a toddler!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN