Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cleaning overboard?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 263 Replies
3 moms liked this

The post made me think..I DO have anxiety especially when it comes to my house. I can't sem to ever have the house "clean" because I can never catch up. This is a list of my DAILY things I need to do to merely UPKEEP my house- am I nuts?

Each day I (in order)

Go to the front yard and trim any unruly sprouts from my bougenvillias and other plants. Do any weeding that has occured and yes, it happens overnight, water my plants, then hose of the shutters and exterior of the house for dust. I also see what plants are thriving and if they are ready for me to pinch a stem off to propagate a new plant in my baby plant pot.

Then I go to the back, I pick up dog poo, then fill a bucket of simple green and throw it over the poop area. I water my plants on patio then wash the simple green down the driveway. It's fresh now.

Then I check for obvious dirt- finger prints on the stainless steel, doors and doorjams. I clean then spray any door knobs/fixtures with lysol. 

I vaccum then mop, do a perimeter check (cause mop tends to push excess dust to the sides) and papertowel wipe the perimeter. I see my footsteps so, yes, I quick mop again.

Every four days I take out all of my rugs (expect my large family room rug) hallway rug, kitchen rug, bathroom rugs, and sprinkle them with detergent and scrub, rinse them with hose, then hang dry.

I add a few drps of bleach to my solution for my kitchen and bathroom mopping to disinfect. Then I go over it with plain water to pick up any bleach residue, perimeter check also.

Leave carpet powder on the one area rug I can't move while I'm folding laundry, and laundry I have to rinse two times- better safe than residue-ish. Dust then vaccuum it up.

Fix anything that I am able to fix- a loose tile, fabric loose on a chair. 

Nothing feels better to me to be able to honestly say to myself "there's nothing left for you to do today." And then I finish dinner, pour myself a glass of wine. 

I know I have anxiety.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:35 AM
24 moms liked this

WOOOOOOOOSSAAAAAA mija........chill out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:45 AM

I don't know if it's normal but I can never seem to finish enough.

Quoting Anonymous:

WOOOOOOOOSSAAAAAA mija........chill out.

mrs.ramirez
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:48 AM
1 mom liked this

That's all you do all day, is clean? :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:53 AM

It seems like it :( I do have anxiety and I wonder if it's affected my housekeeping. I ell myself that I have to do this everday bc I have an indoor cat and I have to manage any fuzz she sheds and it's true but, I don't finish untill 6pm, ANd I don't think that's normal. I want to get the book "you can do anything in 15 minutes."

Quoting mrs.ramirez:

That's all you do all day, is clean? :(

liels898
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds typical to me. *Shrug* I have OCD though. I don't feel like I go overboard, it's refreshing to me. I have insomnia as well so a lot of times I get my work done at night, get DD off to school in the mornings, and then I clean. Unless I have meetings to go to, then I take care of those and come back and clean.

Which typically includes a full house pick up, deodorizing/vacuuming the carpeted areas (I take out any rugs and hang them on the patio, I scrub and dry them every weekend so on week days they just get aired out and then deodorized/vacuumed), scrubbing down surfaces from room to room, sweeping/mopping every other day all hard floors, brushing down all the pets (their food bowls go through the dishwasher every night so they're clean in the am for breakfast time), rinsing down the patio and watering plants, wiping down windows/doors when I let the dog out to play in the back, and I'm typically cooking up something for dinner. And there's a clean up after dinner, although I'm a chef so it's natural to keep things clean as I'm cooking so it's not like it takes long.

Laundry day is Saturday, which means a big cup of coffee in the am and fun breakfast with DD and sometimes friends if they come over. Then DD brings me the hampers and I get started on the clothes. Everything gets washed, folded, ironed, etc.. then bedding gets washed, the beds get vacuumed, fresh bedding gets put on, and the washed bedding gets put up. Then it's curtains, towels, bathroom rugs, and pet beds. I typically have something to over-organize in between loads of wash lol, and I also clean any garbage cans, and do any incidentals. Oh and stuffed animals get washed as well, then there's pet toys that usually get handwashed and put on the patio to dry out. Pets get baths on Saturdays too, with the help of DD.

There's typically a bigger cleaning day once a month where the carpets and rugs get deep cleaned, furniture gets washed/aired out, everything gets a good scrub, and things get added to the donation boxes to cut down on clutter.

DD likes to help with some little chores while I'm cleaning and she can take pretty good care of her room though I go in and clean too. But on the big clean day she gets to go with her best friend or do something fun.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Darlin.....I do ten times that amount each day, lol

I clean each room from top to bottom twice a day...dusting everything, sweep and mop all floors, windex all glass surfaces, tv's, computers....etc. I wash the window sills, baseboards, crown molding. Clean each bathroom and kitchens......the list never ends, lol  I have four floors in the  house 

mrs.ramirez
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM
15 moms liked this

You clean the crown molding everday? lol

Sit your ass down! :)

Quoting Sassy762:

Darlin.....I do ten times that amount each day, lol

I clean each room from top to bottom twice a day...dusting everything, sweep and mop all floors, windex all glass surfaces, tv's, computers....etc. I wash the window sills, baseboards, crown molding. Clean each bathroom and kitchens......the list never ends, lol  I have four floors in the  house 

SHUT THE FUCK UP

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM
3 moms liked this
That carpet powder you vacuum up ruins your vacuum
tardistraveller
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM
3 moms liked this

That's a bit much imo.  I used to clean excessivly, I went through cognitive behaviour therapy and it helped my anxiety.

katiew2012
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:47 PM
33 moms liked this

I'm tired just reading this! Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)