Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Serious question for SAHMs.

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:27 PM
  • 391 Replies
1 mom liked this

How old are your kids? Are they school age or younger? Are you planning to stay home once they're all in school? Are you planning on homeschooling?

I'm asking because I was a SAHM for 11 years but once our youngest child started school I went back to work. It was the plan all along. I just wondered if this was a common thing or if most SAHMs continue to stay home once all their kids are in school. I work at my kids' school so our schedules work out perfectly.

But it seems CM has 2 camps- the moms who work outside the home and the SAHMs. I don't seem to hear much from those of us who were home when the kids were little but went back once they were out of the house for long periods of time.

Edited: Oh My Goodness!! I posted this last night before I went to bed. Checked this morning and had a decent number of responses. After work & running errands I sat down to play at the computer while helping my 10 year old with his Social Studies and found out this Blew Up!! Nearly 320 responses last time I checked.

I really have no issue with how people run their homes. If being a SAHM works for you full time, that's awesome. If you can work full time, that's also awesome. I'm a HUGE proponent of "do what's best for your family." 

Our kids are 12, 10, 8, and 6 and my going back to work was what was best for us. I love my job. I loved being a SAHM. I just know that I personally wasn't going to be happy staying home once the kids were gone. That's just me.

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM

My baby is 9 months. Once my son goes to school I will be getting a job.

Chrissywissy
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM

My oldest is 17 and then 12, 9, 8, 6, and 3. I will be going back to work when my youngest is in school fulltime. I have been a SAHM for 17 years!

art.diva
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM
2 moms liked this

As a military wife who is unsure of her future....I honestly don't know.  I would like to work, but I will have to wait and see.

Oh, and my youngest (she's four) is starting Pre-k this year.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM
I will be going back when they're in school, hopefully with the understanding that I get summers and school vacation off.
Motherof3inNJ
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I'm technically a SAHM but I'm also in school and will graduate in 3 years. My youngest is 3.

Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I have two sons who are 3.5 and 2 and a baby due in February. None are in school yet. I haven't decided what I plan to do yet. I am thinking that once at least two of the kids are in school all day I will go back to school. Then once I finish school I will go back to work if the youngest is also in school by then. I'm not sure what I will go to school for though, because it is pretty difficult to find a career when your husband's career requires you to move a lot. I really don't have anything I'm particularly interested in going to school for either :/
myownparadise
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM
They are 4 & 5.

I am undecided about whether or not I want to work when the youngest goes to kindergarten next year.
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Oldest is 18, then 16, 12 and the youngest is 3. I may or may not go to work immediately. I'll probably just pick up a few more classes and still be home for a bit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM
My son is 2 1/2, I'm not sure yet. I plan to go back to work or school when he is in full day school, but maybe I'll get lucky and get pregnant again? Either way, when I have no non-school age child in the house I plan to do something.
Canvas_says
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My youngest is 7 going into the second grade. I have been a sahm for three years but I doubt I will ever return to work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN