Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I can't pack my kid a lunch for PreK??? Edited for the first day of school!

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM
  • 425 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hope this works. My computer is screwing up. Since no one called me back on Friday to discuss it, I packed her lunch today. I went to the office after dropping her off at class and told them that I packed a lunch since no one had called me back and nitrates are being served and she is sensitive to nitrates. They said that was fine for today and to please get a doctors note asap. So I made an appointment for her tomorrow after school and her doctor will give me a note saying that she is sensitive to nitrates, msg and soy protein (which pretty much cuts out most the the breakfasts and lunches). I picked her up today and guess what. The first thing she says is "Can I eat my lunch? Ms. Daphne wouldn't let me eat my lunch" sure enough, they fed her nitrate laden pizza and would not let her eat her lunch that I packed. She said "Ms. Daphne" was very mean to her and said that she should eat what everyone else eats and not food from home. They totally disrespected my wishes and they will be getting a polite earful come morning.

So here is the breakfast rotation, and a week of lunch menus. This is the lunch menu for the whole school, prek-high school (although middle and high can eat a salad or sandwich a la carte). Can you see why I don't want my kids eating this crap? I can't send my 2nd and 7th graders to school with a good homemade lunch and make my preK kid eat this.

This is breakfast: Mondays cereal or muffin, Tuesdays crispito or hotpocket, Wednesdays breakfast pizza, Thursdays biscuit and sausage, Fridays Pancake/sausage on a stick.

Here's is one of the weeks of lunch menu: Monday Corndog, baked beans, corn on the cob, fruit cocktail, Tuesday pizza burger, french fries, pickle, pineapple chunks. Wednesday chicken nuggets, mashed potato, green beans, apple sauce, roll. Thursday chicken and cheese crispito corn, brocolli, peaches. Friday BBQ rib patty, mac and cheese, cole slaw, fruit cocktail.

Yeah, school starts Monday. We just went to open house last night. My 4 year old is starting PreK and is so excited! I get home and look through all the paperwork and see that it says. "Breakfast, lunch and snack are provided, please do not let your child bring food into the classroom" so I asked a few friends about this. Sure enough, PreK is NOT allowed to bring lunches from home! We don't eat processed food, dyes, colors, HFCS, nitrates...etc. Of course, every now and then a treat is okay, but I don't allow this stuff on a regular basis. I pack my older kids lunches so they are eating healthy stuff, so I just assumed that I would pack hers too. Now I find out I can't! I don't know what to do. This really bothers me. I've read the lunch menus, YUCK! Not only that, but I've read the "acceptable healthy snack list" the school puts out. POP TARTS. CHIPS. FRUIT GUMMIS...Those are not healthy, and I know that's the kind of crap they'll be feeding her for snack time. What should I do? I can't pull her out, her heart will be broken. I was thinking about talking to the school and telling them she had "allergies" to nitrates and dyes, lol, so maybe they'd let me pack her food. Is it silly of me to be upset over this? I don't want to send my older kids to school with good healthy food from home, while my prek kid has to eat crap! Grrrr!

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM

we were not allowed to either. we had to buy their lunch there. it was an allergy thing. i think, that was my belief.

their answer was "we serve lunch in family portions to teach them to sccop their own portions and eat together in their chairs."

Happily married to the best man and father in the world! <3

Trying to Conceive Ticker

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
If you dont normally feed her that stuff I would tell them that she has allergies. If she eats it she may have a bad reaction to it.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM
4 moms liked this
I would ask the logic behind the policy
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM
5 moms liked this

Unless you can get a prescription from a doctor that she is allergic to those things, you are either going to have to pull her or suck it up and deal.

CafeMom Tickers
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Is this a public headstart program? I've heard of this only in those programs.

That stinks.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

MotherLady
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM
I had a really hard time with this when my kids were in pre k. I *almost* pulled them out of school. But I thought it would be good for them.
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this
Get a note from her Dr saying she is allergic to too many food dyes and products to eat the provided food
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM
32 moms liked this
This is why you RESEARCH the school BEFORE enrolling.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

MomTo3NMW
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM
3 moms liked this

I would be a little upset too because I don't like my kids eating that garbage daily either...

It's an allergy reason why they don't allow food, which is absolutely stupid IMO. That was never a problem when we were in school, kids were taught they can't have things they were allergic to, why is it different now? Why not make these kids and teachers aware?

natekenna
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:22 AM
We couldn't either but I was ok with it.
They served really good made from scratch food.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN