Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Vent* BRATTY CHILDREN SHOULD BE LOCKED IN CLOSETS!!!!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 88 Replies

I don't think any children should be locked in a closet this is just a vent.

My sister had to be taken to the ER, I am watching my 10 year old step-niece for a few hours/ possibly the whole day. The problem is that she is a huge brat. She acts worse than my 4 year at times.

She wants my dd to play exactly what she wants to play, exactly how she wants to play it. My dd doesn't like a lot of the stuff she wants to do, such as Niece will want to play Doctor and will stab my dd with her fingernail to give her shots. DD stopped wanting to play doctor a few months ago because of this. Niece wants to play house where she is the mommy and dd is the daughter but she is even bossier when they do this. DD isn't allowed to play with her toys when Niece is being Mommy. If they play with any toys then Niece takes charge and iff DD does anything that isn't part of nieces plan for the toys she tells her not to do that.

When DD refuses to be bossed around Niece sits there and says "Fine, I'm not playing with you anymore." You would think problem solved they can each do their own thing for a while, right? Well, wrong. Niece will sit there and say that over and over until DD gets upset.

She will also do things just to make dd upset. For instance, DD had an imaginary pet named Goldie. I have no idea what it was supposed to be but Niece would sit there and tell DD she had killed Goldie, and keep saying it until she made DD scream and or cry.

I have told Niece to stop being mean. I have told DD to play with something else when Niece is acting like that. I have comforted DD and told her Niece hadn't actually killed Goldie she was just being mean.

If i get on to Niece there is a 50/50 chance she will have a complete meltdown. I'm talking she will sit there and scream and cry that I am being mean and I'm always mean to her and she will try to hurt herself. (the last time she had a meltdown she was taking her glasses off her face and slamming them back on and banging her head against the couch, This was over me telling her to get off a chair she wasn't sitting in right and was banging against a wall which she gets in trouble for constantly)

What the hell can I do?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe she needs a nap. Tell her to go in the other room and lay down until she can act appropriately.

Crymsm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Nothing, not your kid. But you can talk to your sister about it and see what she has to say.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Let her have a meltdown.  Tell her to knock it off and to go read for awhile in another room.

KGreen75
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I would send them each to different rooms and tell the 10 year old "Since you can't be nice, you can play by yourself."

buttercup627
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM
2 moms liked this

stop babysitting her!

Goodbye.BlueSky
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Eh. Sounds like my stepson. He's 10. I just send him to his room and tell him he's not coming out until he stops throwing his tantrum. He also gets three strikes with the bossy stuff...like it's not just being bossy, he's being a real jerk. After the third time I say something, he has to write sentences, front and back of the page, "I will not be mean and bossy".

If I were you, I'd send her to a bedroom and tell her she can come out when she stops having a fit. And that she'll go right back in there if she keeps being malicious.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Quoting Crymsm:

Nothing, not your kid. But you can talk to your sister about it and see what she has to say.

I cant sister is in the ER. The father is on the road (truck driver) so I could call him but he really isn't too good on the father front (not a bad dad but he just got custody 3 years ago and has let Niece run things until my sister got in the picture a year ago.) He doesn't know how to deal with the issues either and I'm afraid he would only make things worse if he talks to her on the phone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Im guessing you dont spank? She would be put in a room until she wanted to act like a big girl and not a baby. is she disciplined at home? what are her mothers methods? If all else fails.....rope and duct tape........ lol, my 2 year old is better behaved than that. If she will not be put in a room you and your dd leave her where shes throwing the fit, just say "she is not playing nice so we are going to go out here and ill get you something to do ok" just ignore her, if she hurts herself oh damn well

Crymsm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Hmm, it's just hard to say. You don't want to piss off your sister but that kid needs something done. Does she ever get punished?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Crymsm:

I cant sister is in the ER. The father is on the road (truck driver) so I could call him but he really isn't too good on the father front (not a bad dad but he just got custody 3 years ago and has let Niece run things until my sister got in the picture a year ago.) He doesn't know how to deal with the issues either and I'm afraid he would only make things worse if he talks to her on the phone.

ShellLea
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM
5 moms liked this

Sorry but kids like that get spanked at my house. Yes, even other people's kids. If someone doesn't want their kid spanked they don't ask me to watch them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN