Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Someone I know is living in his car! ; (

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

He used to go to our church.  A nice, divorced, older guy.  He lost his job, and then he lost his home to foreclosure!  He moved out of state to stay w a friend.  From time to time, I email him to see how he's doing.  Today he emailed me that he's living in his car in a church parking lot, and still looking for work!  I feel so bad!  I wish we could help, but we live in a small apartment with 3 little kids!

Please pray for him!  Any ideas on how to help him?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I feel so sad about this!  I wish i could help him!

Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Find a shelter for him to go to. Help him get to it if he needs the help. Just be there for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Honestly, it could be worse. At least he has a car.

There is a harvard grad who lived in a car for 4 years to save $$$$, he wrote a book about it too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

That is sad.  Do you have any connections to places looking for workers?  Maybe you could help him get a foot in the door.

Other than that, it doesn't sound like you have the resources to really help.  Keep your eyes open for opportunities for him, pray for him, and try to be supportive.

Hopefully he'll find a path to follow soon.  If he's a man of faith, encourage him to keep the faith.  Often having something to believe in helps people feel stronger.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

He's out of state!  I have no idea where a shelter would be.  I wish I could take him in!

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

Find a shelter for him to go to. Help him get to it if he needs the help. Just be there for him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I used to be a social worker.

I would prefer to live in my car over most shelters.

Also, in my area there are NO SHELTERS for men unless they go to rehab for drugs etc.

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM

No, I don't have connections to help him find a job! And we live in a tiny apartment!  I wish i could help him!

Quoting Anonymous:

That is sad.  Do you have any connections to places looking for workers?  Maybe you could help him get a foot in the door.

Other than that, it doesn't sound like you have the resources to really help.  Keep your eyes open for opportunities for him, pray for him, and try to be supportive.

Hopefully he'll find a path to follow soon.  If he's a man of faith, encourage him to keep the faith.  Often having something to believe in helps people feel stronger.

Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Go online. Find the local area he is in, and look up the nearest shelter. When you do find it, call them, and explain to them the situation, that your out of state, can't get to him to take him to the shelter, and see if they will go get him. They might be able to do it, and the church might let him leave his car there with them.

Quoting Anonymous:

He's out of state!  I have no idea where a shelter would be.  I wish I could take him in!

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)