Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom facing felony charges for using melatonin

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 345 Replies

This PA mom is facing felony charges for giving her children melatonin. The details on this case are very vague right now. I guess its possible that she could have given them more than necessary, but it appears the officers responded just based on someone alerting them that she was using it period. I've never had to use melatonin, but I know lots of mothers here do. Just a warning, make sure your ped is aware of the use so you can back yourself up if, god forbid, something like this ever happens to you!

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/mother-accused-giving-2-young-children-melatonin/nZQ3H/

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM
2 moms liked this

she must have given them a very high dosage for that to happen

my dd and my sons take it occasionally to help them sleep

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Was it really JUST melatonin?  I don't use it, but I've never heard that it makes your child hard to wake up and sluggish like that.  Sounds like what Benedryl does to me.

ElitestJen
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:55 PM
9 moms liked this

Seems like there's a whole portion of this story missing.  Something is definitely amiss here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I duno, my children don't take anything and even they would be hard to wake and sluggish if they were woken from a hard sleep! As of right now there's no word on how much she gave them but there are a lot of people on the local news facebook pages saying that she should be thrown in jail. We have literally 0 details and they already want her hung.

Quoting silverdawn99:

autodidact
by Snarknado on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM
2 moms liked this

not necessarily. CPS is very arbitrary in what they consider actionable. 

Quoting silverdawn99:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Yea its strange. They say "mother accused of giving melatonin to 2 young children" like she was accused of giving them meth or something. Too many details missing. And of course the local lynch mob is crying out on the news fb pages to have her hung already.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Seems like there's a whole portion of this story missing.  Something is definitely amiss here.

moroccanmommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:58 PM
13 moms liked this
it not advised for childrn to have this. It can cause sezuires..and causes the brain to stop making it own. its not for long term use even in adults. natural doesnt equal safe
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't know yet. I don't use it either, but my children don't take anything and its hard to wake them from a dead sleep without being sluggish on a normal day!

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Was it really JUST melatonin?  I don't use it, but I've never heard that it makes your child hard to wake up and sluggish like that.  Sounds like what Benedryl does to me.

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this

i am not troubled because i dont do it every night and i have talked to my pedi about my dd's sleep problems and she suggested the melatonin

Quoting autodidact:

not necessarily. CPS is very arbitrary in what they consider actionable. 

Quoting silverdawn99:

2ltlmonkeyz
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM
19 moms liked this
I don't get this I have always been under the impression kids don't sleep and that's just part of being a parent lack of sleep.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured