Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yep that's right I am lazy, hate to put my kids to bed, etc because I use melatonin. *Shakes head* A lot of u have NO CLUE.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 98 Replies
1 mom liked this

Um the label DOES NOT say no kids or teens on the brand we get. Secondly, because for MANY YEARS, my kids NEVER went to sleep. I'm not kidding. I tried everything for years that I could. I used the nanny 911 shit send them back to their bed. Send them back to their bed. Send them back to their bed. Send them back to their bed. Over and over and over and over until around 3AM I was asleep in a chair, and they were up running around and would wake me up when they came in our room. I tried books. Literally I could lay with them in their own beds, and read to them for HOURS. Like 18 books and they were STILL AWAKE. Tried tiring them out. Playing with them, having them ride their bikes and run around and taking them to the park, etc. When that didn't work, I tried warm milk, then chamomile tea, etc. Nothing worked. I tried threatening, it didn't work, (like I will take tv away for a week/ no dessert for a month / nothing phased them). It didn't matter. Tried calm music. Then a new tv show came on, Pajamanimals. I thought oh goody we will watch pajanimals EVERY NIGHT while laying quietly in bed. Nope. Didn't help.

First we found out our middle child has autism. Next we found out our youngest had ADHD. My oldest was being kept awake ALL NIGHT by our two other kids so he got no sleep either. It made me a BAD TERRIBLE GOD AWFUL MOMMY too. Because I was so exhausted and sleep deprived. Which made me and daddy both irritable and not very wonderful to be around.

Talked to their ped who suggested the little dissolvable melatonin, 1/2 of a 5 milligram pill per each of the younger, and a full for my oldest. After telling him all of the various methods we had tried, (and by the way a lot of the above we tried together as well, such as tiring them out, than reading them books, then watching pajanimals, then having me walk them back a billion times to their room). It worked. First night of sleep I'd had in YEARS. Literally, years. Yes it worked. I gave them the melatonin in the amount prescribed around 8PM, they were out like LIGHTS by 8:45. They did not wake up, wander around the house, play and make noise, and eventually their dark circles have LIGHTENED. Thank God. We have tried to take the melatonin away to see if they will be able to sleep now, and we have had the same nights we used too. So now it is melatonin every night before bed. yes it keeps my dh and I sane, better parents, etc.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM

BUMP

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM

B

Anonymous

U

Anonymous

M

Anonymous

P

southern.momof2
by Pirate on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM
I can't judge because my children never had problems sleeping. I would be worried about long term usage though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't care what anyone thinks...

You are doing what's best for you and your kids...
Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Okay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:24 PM

They are non habit forming, and my kids have never had any bad side effects. The doctor also assured me there should be nothing to worry about.

Quoting southern.momof2:

I can't judge because my children never had problems sleeping. I would be worried about long term usage though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM

thank you hon.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't care what anyone thinks...

You are doing what's best for you and your kids...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN