Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She'll only call my son by his first name...

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 285 Replies
My son's first name is Michael and his first middle name is David. We usually call him Michael David or Dave or Davey or David.

We just always have because his father is Mike or Michael.

Well, DH met DS' teacher today and she was very nice but she REFUSES to call him Dave or David or Davey. She said that she only calls her kids by their first name and she doesn't use nicknames. I TOTALLY get not using nicknames...but David is part of his name. So DH said "Well, you could call him Michael David" and she asked if David was part of his first name, which its not...so she said no. She was going to call him Michael.

I mean, I don't think it'll cause serious issues with my son-we'll just explain it to him-but i can't guarantee he won't correct her for awhile. I mean, he'll do it respectfully (he'll be a mouthy brat to me but he's pretty good with manners around other people). I just think its such a strange thing for her to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SaratheV
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM
5 moms liked this
I'd talk to the principal. My son goes by his middle name and I'd be pissed if that happened.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM
18 moms liked this
First world problems.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Why would you be pissed? It is his first name correct?

Quoting SaratheV:

I'd talk to the principal. My son goes by his middle name and I'd be pissed if that happened.

petie1104
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, that's weird. I would definitely be taking that up with someone.
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM
5 moms liked this

you need to start calling him by his first name now....my little brother is Charles Christopher...we called him Chris since birth...when he was 16 and started putting in applications for jobs he of course had to list his legal first name FIRST...do you know how many times he missed out on jobs and other opportunities because the phone would ring, someone would ask for Charles and we would forget that was really Chris? Even my mom was guilty of telling people "wrong number" Why didnt you just name him David Michael if you were just going to call him David? Now he will have the rest of his life to correct people, unless he bucks you and starts going by his first name himself, like my brother did

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Your kid will survive.
Peaceful.chaos
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM
6 moms liked this
She's being difficult. She needs to call him his preferred name. That's ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM
3 moms liked this
Does she use shortened version of first names? Like my son is Matthew and he only will answer to Matt. He hates being called Matthew.

I think that's not right that she won't call the kids what they want. It's part of their identity and it is wrong to stifle that. Kids don't get to choose what name their parents give them
Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM
My 8 yr old has always gone by Paige at home which is her middle name but when she started school she wanted everyone to call her by her first name which is Jaylyn. But her teachers have always asked if she went by a nick name. I think the teacher is being silly.
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM
10 moms liked this

this has got to be the most unoriginal, cuntish response that I see on CM lately

Quoting Anonymous:

First world problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)