Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

9yo still wetting the bed

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 121 Replies

My 9yo DD still wets the bed most nights.  And she likes to sleep with us (yeah - family bed at 9.  We kind of like it, and yes, she has her own room and bed).  She wears diapers at night to keep the bed dry - our bed.

And yes, we've tried alarms (woke us up, not her), have been to the doctor (not worried until puberty), waking her up (didn't really help, and the interrupted sleep wasn't worth it), and making her do her own laundry (works when she sleeps in her bed, but she'd rather wear a diaper than do laundry - lol).  We haven't tried meds, but don't want after seeing the possible side effects.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I'm in the same situation with my 6year old. We have done the same things as you. I'm at a loss.
eb415
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Is he/she in diapers or pull-ups?

Quoting Seagodess:

I'm in the same situation with my 6year old. We have done the same things as you. I'm at a loss.

KylesWifey
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM

My dd is 4 and wets the bed every single night.....so I am no help but if you find something that works.....let me know!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Yup. We manage it as best we can.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Does she poop every day? Seriously. Sounds crazy, but any formed or leftover stool increases pressure on the bladder.
audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM
My aunt is dealing with this as well with her now 12 yo. She actually has emotional asthma (asthma attacks if she gets overly stressed or upset). Since being put on anxiety medication her symptoms have improved. Have you consulted a pediatric urologist?
eb415
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I've heard about the connection to constipation, but she's pretty regular, so I don't think that's what it is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Does she poop every day? Seriously. Sounds crazy, but any formed or leftover stool increases pressure on the bladder.

Bailer795
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I wet the bed till I was in grade 7 or maybe it was 8. Absolutely the worst thing ever. I ended up taking meds and not even a week later it stopped. Absolutely nothing worked until the meds. Once I got my first period it dramatically slowed down but it still happened occasionally.
KRC
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd13 did .  I did not do use med due to the side effects also.  Her pediatrician when I took her in at age 6 for bedwetting said that she was such a deep sleeper that the urge to pee wasn't strong enough to wake her up and that she would eventually outgrow it.  She finally did last yr.

eb415
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM

The doctor said not to worry until puberty, but we might be able to get a referral.  It doesn't really bother her or us yet (that much, anyway), though, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Quoting audmom1218:

My aunt is dealing with this as well with her now 12 yo. She actually has emotional asthma (asthma attacks if she gets overly stressed or upset). Since being put on anxiety medication her symptoms have improved. Have you consulted a pediatric urologist?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)