Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Kids calling SM's "Mom"

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM
  • 120 Replies
2 moms liked this
I'm curious as to why this is such a big deal to so many women. I have 3 kids and I am secure enough in my relationships with them that they can call another woman "Mom". It's not exactly my favorite thing in the world. Especially if I dislike the girl. However, if she is permanent in the child's life, and she treats my them with the respect they deserve, I'm ok with it.
My children have tons of friends that call me mom. They have friend's moms that they call "Mom" as well. I think it is very similar in comparison. I am not any less their mom than I was before they called the other person by the name. And I actually think it is good for the kids to bond with someone that cares for them and has their best interest at heart.
So why is it such a terrible thing for a child to call another woman "Mom"?
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I don't even allow my children to call my parent's spouses grandma and grandpa. If I divorced, I'd probably want to keep the "mom" title all to myself too. :p I can understand others feeling that way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I only have a problem with it because my ex tries to force our child to call his flavor of the month "mom" and any children she may or may not have her "sisters" and/or "brothers".
He's been doing it to get back at me because he's petty and hates the fact that our child calls my husband "daddy" and has for quite some time.
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM
2 moms liked this

My daughter calls me Mommy or Mama and my mom, Mom.  If my ex-husband does get married again his wife is just that his wife not my child's mom. My daughter will call her by her first name and that's it.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I am not ok with it. And I would never allow my children to call anyone else dad either. I would never to that to my EXDH.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I have never considered calling other women mom, besides, well, my mom....this is such a strange phenomenon. Are kids calling teachers and aunts and grandmas "mom" now?  I'm so out of the loop.

Trisi
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I do understand if the person is not permanent in their lives, or if they are being forced. Neither of those instances are acceptable. But if that's not the case, I honestly don't see the problem.
mistie900
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't care as long as their dad is married to them and they are not being forced to do it. I wouldn't like it much if she was a total bitch and a shitty person though, like the last woman their dad dated. If she acts like a mom to them and loves them I have no issues with it. I have different views on step parents than a lot of women on this site though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Trisi
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Apparently, I do also. Lol.

Quoting mistie900:

I don't care as long as their dad is married to them and they are not being forced to do it. I wouldn't like it much if she was a total bitch and a shitty person though, like the last woman their dad dated. If she acts like a mom to them and loves them I have no issues with it. I have different views on step parents than a lot of women on this site though.

DusterMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
My parents divorced when I was 1, and both remarried when I was 2. When I was 3, I came up with the terms "Old Mama/New Mama" and "Old Daddy/New Daddy". It bothered my parents,but they understood that I was just trying to differentiate. No one ever asked me to call them anything. Today, my (now ex) stepdad is still "Daddy" and my stepmom is still "Mom". I can understand it being an issue if you have an older child with a new stepparent, but not if they're very young. If they've taken on the role of another parent figure...the name kind of fits. It doesn't lessen your role of parent in any way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't understand the problem either. Although, I would be a little irked if I had never met the woman and my child was calling her mom.
But if the woman was to be in my child's life for a long time- as in, dad's marrying her- I wouldn't be as upset than if the woman was only going to be in my child's life a short time.

Quoting Trisi:

I do understand if the person is not permanent in their lives, or if they are being forced. Neither of those instances are acceptable. But if that's not the case, I honestly don't see the problem.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)