Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wasn't it easier to be "poor?"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When my husband and I were first married we lived in a trailer. Our rent was like $250 a month. We had a car that we shared and paid about $1000 in all for. We didn't have Internet, iPhones or even cable. We watched movies. Back then we were relaxed and happy. I had no worried! Now I feel like life has overwhelmed me and even though we are "well off" now sometimes I want to go back to the simple life. Sometimes I had to dig change under the seat just to buy milk but we were soo happy. We had so much fun.

Those telling me to just go back to that. I would if it was just me but its not all about me. My husband wants the lifestyle we have and he's worked hard for it so its selfish of me to force my wants in the entire family
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Replies (101-110):
elkmomma
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM

We're not "wealthy" by other peoples standards either.  DS has asked similar questions; my answer is simple..."Money is not the only riches in life". 

Quoting KrissyKC:

We have been feeling the same way, my DH and I.   Back when we lived in a trailer and were "poorer"... my kids actually asked me one time, "Mom, are we wealthy?   We feel wealthy."   Now?  They feel like we are poor...  I don't get it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I do miss it... we are about to make changes to go a little more simple!
malibucj
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree completely. I am going through divorce now, but there were so many times throughout our marriage, I would have given anything for the poor times. We didn't have much, but we rich in love and happiness. It seemed the more money we made, the more tense, and stressful life became.

mommyviera
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Quoting shudderette:

Idk, we're still in the "poor" stage. We're happy though so I'm good with it. 

yea im still in the poor stage,but i love the simple life

sweatpea1
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

i miss liveing with my mom and no worries of bills or how to get food on the table...now i know how she feels as of  today...but had to move i could not stay and help her cuz i had a baby and needed to get a home of my own....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Money is like crack, once you have it, it is really hard to give up.

Yes, I miss those days when there was not the constant pressure of making money. DH hates his job. He is looking at other opportunities but a pay cut of $40,000 a year is going to be a tough pill to swallow. We are used to not having to watch our finances. When I want something, I buy it. So does he.
petie1104
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Sometimes I look back and miss the simplicity of life then. Other times I'm thankful that my kids have the opportunities they have with is having money. It's a trade off.

But, as my mom always says "the grass ain't always greener".
J_Kids_mom
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I understand... I came from a very poor home. I try to give my children 10 x more than I ever had. We struggle a lot, but I think that when my children grow older and move on, I will look back and be glad of the sleepless nights of wondering how we are going to pay the bill or how we buying food. Because of our sacrifice, our children are going to really good schools and we live in a decent neighborhood.

Nicoles2LilRams
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM

no way!  We're still climbing up the ladder, and we're still closer to the bottom than top, but we HATED being dirt poor.  We hated living in a trailer, we hating having no car.. it was not, by any stretch of the word, fun!

Now, there's something to be said for living simply I will agree, but you can do that with or without money. 

sweatpea1
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Quoting malibucj:

I agree completely. I am going through divorce now, but there were so many times throughout our marriage, I would have given anything for the poor times. We didn't have much, but we rich in love and happiness. It seemed the more money we made, the more tense, and stressful life became.

My mom just resontly went though dicorce and it is killing her and my sibblings...All my dad thinks about is his health and his money...mom never cheted on him or gambled his money,,,strickly kids or bills....but you know what now that dad is devorced mom life is easy. We are not on our tose trying to make him happy...now we can make good memories...so look at the devorce as a good thing it well turn out good in the long run...At the moment it will suck:(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)