Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wasn't it easier to be "poor?"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 233 Replies
17 moms liked this
When my husband and I were first married we lived in a trailer. Our rent was like $250 a month. We had a car that we shared and paid about $1000 in all for. We didn't have Internet, iPhones or even cable. We watched movies. Back then we were relaxed and happy. I had no worried! Now I feel like life has overwhelmed me and even though we are "well off" now sometimes I want to go back to the simple life. Sometimes I had to dig change under the seat just to buy milk but we were soo happy. We had so much fun.

Those telling me to just go back to that. I would if it was just me but its not all about me. My husband wants the lifestyle we have and he's worked hard for it so its selfish of me to force my wants in the entire family
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Bump
my4kids274
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM
5 moms liked this
We are not rich by any stretch of the means but I will take us having money in the bank over our financial a situation when we first got married.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you.  I never had to dig for change to buy milk but we had an ok car and an ok house.  I had to save if I wanted something nice.  It seems more complicated now.  More money more problems I guess :).  However I am sure others will disagree.  Just my opinion.  

jdy9440
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM
3 moms liked this

I liked the good ole days too. 

idunno1234
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM
15 moms liked this

Uh.......no.   Poverty sucks, especially with kids.

I do actually understand what you are saying though.  The unhappiest people I ever knew were also the wealthiest.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I know the feeling. 

shudderette
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Idk, we're still in the "poor" stage. We're happy though so I'm good with it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM
12 moms liked this
I think I would be fine living like that with kids. We never went without. Its the judgmental materialistic world we live in that makes it hard

Quoting idunno1234:

Uh.......no.   Poverty sucks, especially with kids.

I do actually understand what you are saying though.  The unhappiest people I ever knew were also the wealthiest.

Liz132
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM
2 moms liked this

We were really poor when we were first married. We didn't have cable or internet and had to do everything as cheaplyas possible. It was hard but we had fun and learned how to be frugal.

echoedsentiment
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM
16 moms liked this

I'm living that beggining of life right now. I have been very well off when I was in my teens and now it's sometimes a struggle but my family is happy and healthy all the same. Even if you are well off you can always revert back to that simple kind of life. I'm not aware of any rule that says because you have money you have to spend it lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)