Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wasn't it easier to be "poor?"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When my husband and I were first married we lived in a trailer. Our rent was like $250 a month. We had a car that we shared and paid about $1000 in all for. We didn't have Internet, iPhones or even cable. We watched movies. Back then we were relaxed and happy. I had no worried! Now I feel like life has overwhelmed me and even though we are "well off" now sometimes I want to go back to the simple life. Sometimes I had to dig change under the seat just to buy milk but we were soo happy. We had so much fun.

Those telling me to just go back to that. I would if it was just me but its not all about me. My husband wants the lifestyle we have and he's worked hard for it so its selfish of me to force my wants in the entire family
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Replies (111-120):
lil_garys_mom
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM
I completly know what you mean. When my husband and i were poor i felt like we had so much more fun even though we never had money to do anything our best memories are from when we were poor. Granted we make more now and live in a house our financial situation is still kind of tight but i feel like its no where near as fun as before. Now if we dont have much money its more stressful then anything because of a child being involved. I thought i was the only crazy one to think being poor was a little more fun.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Poor isnt easy and youd truly know that if youve ever been rock bottom poor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I know exactly what you mean :)

Maybe you guys could have a week with no games, no internet, no tv. just family :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM
I always tell my husband I would rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable
malibucj
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Thanks. My divorce is a good thing. lol. Still heartbreaking at times but a good thing. My son and myself are much happier and more carefree. 

Quoting sweatpea1:

Quoting malibucj:

I agree completely. I am going through divorce now, but there were so many times throughout our marriage, I would have given anything for the poor times. We didn't have much, but we rich in love and happiness. It seemed the more money we made, the more tense, and stressful life became.

My mom just resontly went though dicorce and it is killing her and my sibblings...All my dad thinks about is his health and his money...mom never cheted on him or gambled his money,,,strickly kids or bills....but you know what now that dad is devorced mom life is easy. We are not on our tose trying to make him happy...now we can make good memories...so look at the devorce as a good thing it well turn out good in the long run...At the moment it will suck:(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 28 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

We are MUCH more well off now than we were 3 years ago. It has not changed us. We are still very frugal, and we do not live extravagantly. We spend money on things like better quality food, better quality beds, etc. We did not just go out and start spending everything. Now we have less to worry about since we can just go pick up whatever we want/need, and we have a really nice savings.

DoofusAloofus
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Scrounging for pocket change just to buy milk does not sound fun or appealing in any way!
lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM

We are happy-wish we had a little more money-but we are happy

tairakittie
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM

try being there now, its not all fun and games and "no worries". Its REALLY hard to feed a family of 4 with only $20 for groceries for the week...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I know what you mean! When I met my dh,we were in high school.We graduated and then had a baby and got married.He took a job at a factory only making 8 bucks an hr.He went on to school and then on to school again.He has a super job now and we were able to pay off our home, cars and buy a camp in the mountains.We still live simply though and save.We only have basic cable and netflix and a prepaid cell phone.I am always watching sales.

I have an interview end of the week too for a great job and it will be nice cause I havent worked in yrs,was home with my kids.Its nice though because we dont have the worries we had then.When we need or want something,we can go buy it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)