Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wasn't it easier to be "poor?"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When my husband and I were first married we lived in a trailer. Our rent was like $250 a month. We had a car that we shared and paid about $1000 in all for. We didn't have Internet, iPhones or even cable. We watched movies. Back then we were relaxed and happy. I had no worried! Now I feel like life has overwhelmed me and even though we are "well off" now sometimes I want to go back to the simple life. Sometimes I had to dig change under the seat just to buy milk but we were soo happy. We had so much fun.

Those telling me to just go back to that. I would if it was just me but its not all about me. My husband wants the lifestyle we have and he's worked hard for it so its selfish of me to force my wants in the entire family
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Replies (121-130):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I used to think like that until our world fell apart and we actually were back to how we were when we first got together, when we were poor. and it SUCKED! Being poor isn't easier, especially when you are older and have responsibilities. We fought all the time our marriage was falling apart and then i regrteted every wishing it would be like it was back when we were poor again. Now we are working our way back to where we were before our world fell apart and we are doing it right this time.
crzymmy5
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I feel the opposite of you ~ I've been married for 19 years now, and I love our carefree life now. It's so much easier to do what we want to do, and not have to worry about finances. No debt, no worries, no stress. I'll keep things the way they are now vs. when we were young and had financial worries.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Wow where do you live where rent was 250/month? Out here in Cali poor people pay an avergae 1,000 a month. Just curious.

I know what you mean---sort of. My dad died this sumemr and it broke my heart. I now have 100,000 in a private account, and I know he wanted me to have it but really i want my dad back. In that regard I "miss" being poor. I went from being negative at times in my checking account and barely affording gas to this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 32 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM
I wouldn't know, I have never been poor! It sounds bad though!
JulieBrown
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM

We got rid of cable and it helped bring our family together.  Everyone in my family was watching too much tv.   Also, it would help if there was a way to limit internet time and schedule family activities.  Like Thursday night is pasta and family game night, Friday night invite another family over for popcorn and a movie, Monday night could be spent by everyone doing big chunks of homework and if someone didn't have homework they can read. 

I think the key is to have everyone in same room. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 33 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I get ya-I do.

k_hall1784
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Uhh, no. You're life is the way it is because you made it that way. Just because you have money, it doesn't mean things have to drastically change. All that should change is the ability to feed yourself/family AND pay to keep a roof over your head, keep utilities running, and living in a nice,safe neighboorhood. I also have to add in the ability to just enjoy doing things with your family (ie. waterparks, beach trips, amusement parks, etc...) If more than that is going on, then you and your dh need to look at what you're doing. 

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

This was one of the reasons my husband and I decided to live so very below our means. Most of our friends that are well off are also very stressed and unhappy. It is very easy to get caught up in keeping up with the Jones'.  We get teased a lot about how we live, but we never go without, we are prepared for emergencies, and we have the time to enjoy things as an entire family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 34 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM

We lived well off when we first got together, it was so stressfull with such a demanding job for my husband, we never saw him, we still felt broke even though we made a ton of money. We had way more bills.

Then he got an awesome job that paid about half, and I went to school. We have fun with it, I don't feel like we're any less off then we were back in the day. I'm very happy with my life at this point.

bex55
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I kind of choose to stay poor because I hear things like this a lot. I'm not a big fan of materialism or "stuff" and I know it will not make me happy. Granted I am back in school to have a more meaningful career but I really don't care about money, just about having a higher purpose in my life, besides being a mother. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN