Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dog custody?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
My husband and I are divorcing after 10 years. We are Sharing custody of the kids and haven't had any problems with negotiations. The one problem -- Dilbert our St. Bernard. We have had him for almost 9 years and bought him together from a rescue one Christmas. We both want him. At first we agreed Dilbert would just go with the kids but some days he or I will just be getting the kids from school so the other would have to make a special trip to take Dilbert. I don't think it's fair he takes him when I am the one keeping the house. He has lived here his whole life... I don't want him to freak out. I feed and walk Dilbert all the time. My husband insists he does but he doesn't. We didn't even have to get separate lawyer for the kids custody but I am thinking about getting on for the dog. He's being unreasonable and he's not taking t dog. Am I being silly?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Bump
JLS2388
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Honestly, I think the fair thing is to let the dog go with the kids. If he really doesn't take care of the dog, he will stop wanting the dog when he has the kids. Could it be that you are lonely when your kids are gone and the dog would provide comfort and that's why you want to keep the dog?

Will a judge even handle a "dog custody case"?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM
It's just a dog. Let him take it and get a new one. One with no strings attached.
CelestialSong
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Well, if you don't want to make a special trip to pick up the dog, why can't he just stay with whoever he is with at that time? If each of you will sometimes be picking the kids up from school, then each of you will end up with "extra" Dilbert time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM
It's not just a dog to me.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's just a dog. Let him take it and get a new one. One with no strings attached.

Sj218
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Mobile Photo

I had the same issue with my dog. We divorced after 10 years and had the dog for 11.5. I won custody of the dog eventually because I convinced exh that spencer was a part of his past that he didn't want to drag into his new life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM
I'm not sure but I can't be the first person ever to fight over a dog.

I probably will be lonely without the kids. But it's just a hassle to move the dog around when he's picked the kids up somewhere else across town

Quoting JLS2388:

Honestly, I think the fair thing is to let the dog go with the kids. If he really doesn't take care of the dog, he will stop wanting the dog when he has the kids. Could it be that you are lonely when your kids are gone and the dog would provide comfort and that's why you want to keep the dog?

SoPoetic
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Its not "just" a dog. Shes had it for 9yrs. It practically her child. Animal lovers fall inlove with their pets. My Fiance and I would def battle over the 2 dogs we have...but he'd probably have to settle with getting the oldest dog because she is "his"

Quoting Anonymous:

RJC78
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I agree with this.  If the kids are there, maybe they will step up and make sure Dilbert is taken care of.  As much as I love my three dogs, a day or two of no resposibility while my dd is gone sounds heavenly lol.

Quoting JLS2388:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)