Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Put my kids in school so I can work

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

We have been a Homeschooling family for years. We believe in HS and are children are excelling. However, finances got tight,our circumstances shifted, and I found myself back on the job market. DH normally brings in what should be, and has been, a liveable wage for years but he got his job by climbing the ladder and now that his last position was eliminated, he's had to take a nearly entry-level job. I have a degree and I can make more out of the gate, so when I was offered this position after a lengthy hiring process I couldn't say "no". Good pay, unionized, excellent benefits, and right up my alley. I feel like I'm choosing myself over my kids. I could get a night job and still homeschool, but no-- I chose to take this daytime job. My kids aren't happy (well, one is) and now tthere's this rush to pick their school (admittedly,I'm enjoying this part) order uniforms, and buy supplies. All because I "gotta" have this job. I feel bad. Happy that I'm able to provide for my kids. Sad that I am compromising our beliefs and educational standards for my own professional fulfillment.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

So the kids are going to public school now so you can work?

PrissyAnne
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Why can't dad homeschool them?
IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM
3 moms liked this
You are doing it to HELP

Quoting Anonymous:

We have been a Homeschooling family for years. We believe in HS and are children are excelling. However, finances got tight,our circumstances shifted, and I found myself back on the job market. DH normally brings in what should be, and has been, a liveable wage for years but he got his job by climbing the ladder and now that his last position was eliminated, he's had to take a nearly entry-level job. I have a degree and I can make more out of the gate, so when I was offered this position after a lengthy hiring process I couldn't say "no". Good pay, unionized, excellent benefits, and right up my alley. I feel like I'm choosing myself over my kids. I could get a night job and still homeschool, but no-- I chose to take this daytime job. My kids aren't happy (well, one is) and now tthere's this rush to pick their school (admittedly,I'm enjoying this part) order uniforms, and buy supplies. All because I "gotta" have this job. I feel bad. Happy that I'm able to provide for my kids. Sad that I am compromising our beliefs and educational standards for my own professional fulfillment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I homeschooled for years but had to stop when my doctor appointments increased to a ridiculous amount. I was never home anymore. My health had to come first or I would be useless to my family. It is all about priorities. Your family needs money which is very important. But don't act like public school is evil. It isn't. You can also supplemental homeschool easily. You may not be getting what you want but you are getting what you need and have to figure this out for your family.

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM
3 moms liked this

It sounds like a private school.

Working nights and trying to homeschool during the day won't be good for the kids or you in my opinion.  Find a good school, enjoy your job, and relax.

Quoting Anonymous:

So the kids are going to public school now so you can work?

starlight91
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM
4 moms liked this

great , now youre just like millions of families that do whats needed to be done and not look for the free ride.

mawfia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM
3 moms liked this
I dont feel like you are picking yourself. You are picking what is better for your family at this time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this

You're doing what you need to do for your family. It's ok. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM
3 moms liked this
If your financial situation has changed and requires a second income this is helping your children. Unless they want to severely down size. They will adjust. Try to make a rule of no complaining from any if you. Set a certain time to discuss frustrations and difficulties. After that no complaining. Everyone's attitude through this is going to determine how well or how bad it goes.

I do not recommend working nights when a family is involved. People seem to not realize you have to sleep during the day. People that have worked 3rd seem to forget the difficulties. It's horrible so I personally wouldn't consider that an option.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Yes, kids are going to  public school so I can work, and Dad works as well. He offered to homeschool, and we toyed around with the idea for a few days (praying on it and  throwing around scenarios) but in the end we want what's best for the kids and I'm not sure his style of homeschool would be good enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)