Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My aunt said something about my dog today. Now im worried...

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM
  • 166 Replies
1 mom liked this
So we have a basset hound he sheds horribly my house is covered in dog hair he stinks so my house stinks. He's huge and will pounce all over us.

My aunt just had her baby 5 days ago so we went over to her house today to meet the new baby. I asked how her dog was doing with the new baby. He's a chihuahua and she said he loves just sitting near the baby and watching over him. That he's such a good guard dog over the baby.

Then she gives me this serious look and says you gotta get rid of your dog. Now. Before your baby is born. He won't learn you can't control him he jumps on anyone and what are you gonna do when he jumps up on your baby? You OK with picking dog hair off the bottles and out of his clothes where its gonna stick? Your already battling it as it is. Its not right to allow him around the baby and get his nasty dog hair all over the baby. To jump on a newborn and hurt him it just isn't safe to keep him.

Well I've been halfway to tears most of the evening about this because really she's right. And as annoying and stuoud as the dog is the few short months we have had him, we have all fallen in love with him. I tried talking to my husband about it. I asked if we could just leave him outside on his runner during the day and at bedtime bring him in to his cage to sleep? That just pissed my husband off and yes like I'd rather give him away than keep him chained up all day.

But honestly I don't wanna give him up. Even if its just for the kids ya know....

But he just won't learn!!! He won't stay down he won't stop jumping and the dog hair clings to everything. I have found dog hair in a jar of cream cheese its in my bed it clings to our clothes and ends up in the washer and dryer. I just can't beat it.

Idk..... I just needed to be whine a little I suppose. Its sad and its gonna break my kids hearts
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM
3 moms liked this
I pick dog hair off my dds nunu daily. It's ok.
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM
3 moms liked this

I had a basset. you guys need to bathe & brush him more often & get a book on training dogs. That way everybody's happy!

Johariz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM
6 moms liked this
Have you taken the dog to a training class?
emsmom21
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I personally wouldn't get rid of him. But I am a dog groomer so he would be bathed and brushed often so he wouldn't shed too much. I also work with dog trainers. Have you tried a training class? Or at least asked one for advice? 

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Chihuahuas shed too.

Kellileanne
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Our baby was 4 months old when dh brought home our basset hound.  He is now 9 months old and yes, the hair is EVERYWHERE.  I can wipe down my kitchen counter and walk back through two minutes later and there is dog hair on the counter.  We are always right there when he is around Claire (now almost 13 months) and constantly correcting him his behaviors.  It also is letting her learn how to be good to dogs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM
3 moms liked this
I have pets, hair sucks. I got an air purifier, and I vacuum daily. I use lint rollers as well.

If you don't want to give up the dog, maybe consider obedience school for him.
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Poor bassetts really got the short end of the brains department. Lol. Dog hair isn't a big deal. If he jumps, keep the baby out of his reach. It will take supervision and baby gates, but you'll be fine. I'd much rather have a Bassett than an chihuahua around a baby!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Go get a baby doll and have ur husband hold him on the leash u go hold the doll tell the dog to stay and when he stays give him a treat than bring him alittle closer and keep repeating that excersize or worse case you need to give the dog a room with a baby gate and walk him while u have baby on ur chest or back and take time to play with the dog so he's not neglected
CelestialSong
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM

We have the same jumping problem with our dog. Nothing has helped. Obedience classes and even an in-home trainer. She just gets so excited, she will not listen. And we have dog hair everywhere too. It's gross, I sweep at least twice a day and we still end up with dog hair tumbleweeds :/

Anyway... how often do you bathe him? Brush him? What is his diet like? A really good diet should eliminate stink. When we switched from Purina to Taste of the Wild, the change in our dog's smell and coat were crazy! No more dog smell, and she's so much softer and shinier. Still sheds like crazy though. Has he been to obedience class? What training methods are you using?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)