Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bringing her back to reality

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 86 Replies

DD is a very talented smart young lady.. She plays for a super competitive softball team year around and gets straight A's. We have always handed her everything she has ever wanted and needed. We  go above and beyond for her. I use to think that it was cute when she would have her little entitlement attitudes becuase it seemed like part of her perfectionist attitude. I know I am gonna get bashed and people are gonna say "its your fault" but as a poor child growing up, I have always wanted her to have everything she always wanted. I never want her to want or need. 

Just until recently it was never a problem. I have seen things in her I do not particularly like, For instance the other day at practice she made a comment to me on how cheap another girls glove was. And pointed out how the stitching was not nice, how funny it was. It hurt my heart to hear this.  I would have been happy with that glove that little girl had when I was a kid. I would of been happy just to play recreation ball. I am sad I have created a monster of sorts. So our plan for her this Christmas is to take her to a homeless shelter, have her help cook dinner and serve the residents. I want her to see what it is like to want and need something, so that maybe she will be a little more grateful and understanding that others are not as fortunate as her and that she needs to watch what she says because if heard by others can really hurt them.. I love her and want her to succeed and I thnk this is gonna be a nice life lesson for her.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sj218
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM
6 moms liked this
Why wait until Christmas? There are people in need all year long.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Agreed. There are lots of opportunities to volunteer year round.

Quoting Sj218:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM

So you're going to wait until Christmas to teach the lesson? 

You should rethink that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Why wait for Christmas?

Sj218
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I completely understand where you are coming from. I grew up in a family that got government rations, food stamps and belonged to gleaners. My boy (only child) plays tournament baseball. He swings a $300 bat and uses a $220 glove.... All because I want him to have what I didn't. But you do have to reign it in.

One persons stuff may be better than another persons stuff, but that is no reflection on the worth of the person. It's a tough balance for sure.

Quoting Anonymous:

Agreed. There are lots of opportunities to volunteer year round.

Quoting Sj218:

poohbearkfc
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:48 AM
How about every holiday till the end of the year.
Butterfly1108
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a very good idea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:55 AM

It's not just until christmas, let me rephrase that.  We do the little things like donate her clothing she no longer wears, we also buy school supplies for the local shelters, just little things like that. I just feel if we do something big like that then maybe it will sink in more. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Yes, there are people in need year around. We do little things here and there. We donalte her clothing she doesn't wear anymore, we buy shoes at our church shoe drives, do donate school supplies for children in need. I just think tha tif she see's it in person up front in her face on such a big day then maybe it would sink in more. 

Quoting Sj218:

tarakay0417
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Don't wait for Christmas take her tomorrow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured